• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Charger, how to get front and rear bumpers to fit like a 1971? swap advice pls

fanucme

Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Hello , this is my first real post here , I just picked up a 1973 Charger SE Brogham 400 w A/C.

I plan to change the look similar to a 1971 r/t with the 73' SE vinyl roof. The car came with the 73 front bumper on it and a spare 1972 front bumper and grilles I may start with , I am now noticing all the extra 'cheeze' hung onto the 73's and the SE Brougham especially. I really hate the filler panels front and rear and all the rubber around the rear bumper ( because its rusting from under the rubber in the corners and my rear bumper and taillights are all cracked up).

What is needed to get the front bumper to fit like a 71 ? the fenders ?
what about in the rear , can I just get the earlier rear bumper and brackets ?

thanks in advance , I will post pics of the car this week

Last edited:
Need 71/2 bumpers and mounts. A common conversion. Have to do some slight mods on one set, think it is the fronts. Nacho probably knows. Maybe he or someone else will chime in.

Thanks moparmarks , you are referring to the rear bumper correct ?

I have been searching , moving the front bumper brackets inward , is all I have found , I need to look more closely at that area on the car , lucky I did get the earlier style front bumper though the chrome is shot.

Well both front and rear. Think the rear is a bolt on shot using the 71/2 mounts. I've never done it myself but have sold alot of 71/2 mounts, both front and rear, to the 73/4 guys.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll actually be talking to one of my customers tomorrow that just did this conversion. I can ask him what all was involved.

71 front mounts would NOT fit on my 73.

The bend in the mount occured too "soon" and would not allow the bumper to pull up close enough for the bolts to go in.
Bolt holes are also 3/8 higher/lower within the mount.

I could see no way to even make them work through cutting, slotting, etc. Splicing maybe.

Slotting the bolt holes on the 73 mounts would have worked pretty easy.

Frame is different between 71/2 and 73/4 in that area due to isolated K frame.

Last edited:
There was a thing on here about doing this you gotta use the 73-74 brackets and notch them out to suck the front bumper back but you can swap the grills even the bumper it self , but the rear is direct bolt in I personally took hideaways from a 71 and bolted them into a 73 bumper. Rear will plug in and everything nothing differant. Just remove all pieces (rubber) you can keep chrome looks good with it. In my opionon.

as stated, you must slot the front mounts to get them closer to body. The diff frame rail height won't allow you to fit 71/72 mounts

rears are a diff story and you must use 71/72

Last edited:
I think you have to change the head light bracket as well. The 73/74 sticks out a little more then the 71/72. Correct me if I’m wrong on this.

no, headlights pedestal PN remains the same allong 71/74 for non concelead headlights. Just changes on hideaways

Auto Transport Service
Back