• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To chrome or use different year rear bumper?

Myasylum

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a 1972 b-body.my rear bumper isn't in bad shape but should get re-chromed, and new tail lights.
However, I'm unsure of the price to rechrome a bumper, and new tail lights are about $600.00.
Or AMD makes 1971 B-Body rear bumpers (not 1972). I could just go with the 1971 new bumper and the tail lights are cheaper.
I am unsure if I want to put a 1971 bumper on a 1972 car though.

Anyone have an insightful opinion on this?

Thanks!

I'm generally a proponent of using an original part, so I would rechrome the bumper.

You will also need to buy a '71 rear valence and paint to match so that is additional expense. Re-chrome bumper is $750 from Tri-City.

$750.00 to rechrome? That's what I mean, I could buy a new 71 bumper for $600.00.

Yea, I don't know. Been thinking about this one all winter.

$750.00 to rechrome? That's what I mean, I could buy a new 71 bumper for $600.00.

Yea, I don't know. Been thinking about this one all winter.
Yes sadly rechroming bumpers have doubled in the past decade. But I imagine a '71 Valence and paint would be $500 at least...

I use a place out of SoCal for re-chroming but for you with shipping it wouldn't be much less than the Tri-City price. I drop off/pick up so no shipping.
I had a '68 Plymouth B-bod front bumper (unobtanium at the time via AMD....out of stock for almost two years..) redone for $550 and it came back show quality....too nice for my car really. I have an AMD on the rear and you can see traces of sanding marks under the chrome so "if it was me" I'd re-do your OEM piece and fork over the extra $150....you're then guaranteed no fitment/bolt hole alignment issues which is very common with the chinese repops...

72 valance is the same as a 71 so no need to change it. I have both an AMD and a recromed 71 Bumper here and it’s pretty hard to tell them apart. Tri-city charged $1000 to rechrome the one on my 71 last summer.

72 valance is the same as a 71 so no need to change it. I have both an AMD and a recromed 71 Bumper here and it’s pretty hard to tell them apart. Tri-city charged $1000 to rechrome the one on my 71 last summer.
They make '72 rear bumpers for Dodge so I believe it's a Plymouth cause they don't make those bumpers.. 71-72 Plymouth rear valences ARE different.

In all honesty, AMDs are hit and miss. Some are straight, some are not. It's a gamble. Having a bumper straightened and truly triple chromed used to be $250. The AMD's are not a full triple chrome. These days it's anywhere from $1,000 up to $1,600 to have a bumper done properly with true triple chrome. The problem is that these guys are typically 3-9 months out. Plus you need to factor in shipping a ******* bumper core unless you have a good shop close. The EPA is doing their best to close down chrome shops. It sucks.

I threw on some AMDs for my current build for this show season, they are OK for now. My original cores are due to be back this fall. I'll try to sell the AMDs this coming winter.

In all honesty, AMDs are hit and miss. Some are straight, some are not. It's a gamble. Having a bumper straightened and truly triple chromed used to be $250. The AMD's are not a full triple chrome. These days it's anywhere from $1,000 up to $1,600 to have a bumper done properly with true triple chrome. The problem is that these guys are typically 3-9 months out. Plus you need to factor in shipping a ******* bumper core unless you have a good shop close. The EPA is doing their best to close down chrome shops. It sucks.

I threw on some AMDs for my current build for this show season, they are OK for now. My original cores are due to be back this fall. I'll try to sell the AMDs this coming winter.
Well put. A quality bumper that fits is well worth the additional cost for a known commodity. The alternative is a crap-shoot.

I have a 72 Plymouth Satellite.
AMD don't make that year, only 71.

I dropped my 65 bumpers off at the local parts swap meet bumper vendor and picked them up when they came to the next swap meet.

Zero shipping ......but the car was being restored. Maybe find out the chrome vendor at your next area swap meet and call them they can bring one to the meet then give them your core.

Is this going to be a show poodle or a driver? If it's a total resto, go with the re-chrome. My Coronet is a weekend driver/cruise night car, so AMD was fine for me. I bit less expensive, and three years later they still look great. Food for thought.

Show quality chrome is 1K or more around here. Absolutely stunning, though.

I drive my show-poodles, all the time. Don't care what it is...I drive it.

I have a 72 Plymouth Satellite.
AMD don't make that year, only 71.
well there's your answer.
I re-chromed my rear bumper in 2012 and it was $400. Came out awesome. I didn't realize prices have gone up a lot since and then there's inflation. SonOfA...

Also, 72 bumpers have the slots for the jack, so you will need to ditch the slot jack for something else.... or carry two jacks. Maybe consider waiting for the 72's to be made if re-chrome is outside you current budget?

Auto Transport Service
Back