• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to FBBO Forum

ahemi

Local time
7:37 AM
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the FBBO Forum and wanted to say hello to all.
I've owned for the past 28 years a 1973 Dodge Charger SE Brougham "U" (440 HP) Code car and looking for information concerning my car.
I have the original build sheet from the factory and have decoded, and it matches my car in every detail.
I've read over the years that the "U" Code cars are rare or were mostly Rallye Coupe or Rallye Hardtop cars, and the production was around 700 and some odd cars in 1973.
Not many were made in the SE or Specifically the SE Brougham edition (possibly around 50 cars or less) making them maybe somewhat of a rarity.
Can anyone provide any information on the true number of SE Brougham editions that were produced with the "U" Code motors.
Would also like to know how many SE Broughams were produced with a Manual Sunroof as this is another feature of my car that would be rare possibly in combination with the "U" code 440 HP motor.
Any and all information on 1973 SE Broughams would be appreciated.
Thanks

Welcome! Cool car. They are rare, but 1 in 50 is stretching it I think. A buddy up here has a 74 SE 440 sunroof. I had looked up #s a long time ago.
Also, the true pronunciation is Brawg- Ham lol :lol:

Welcome! Cool car. They are rare, but 1 in 50 is stretching it I think. A buddy up here has a 74 SE 440 sunroof. I had looked up #s a long time ago.
Also, the true pronunciation is Brawg- Ham lol :lol:
Hi Rem Charger, was your friends 1974 SE a regular 440 car or a "U" code 440 as there is a difference and the "U" Code cars are rare compared to the normal 440 cars. As I'm trying to find out the production numbers for only the "U" Code 440 HP motor cars in 1973.
I've read where there were a total of around 1627 cars built with 440 motors in 1973, but of those cars I've not been able to find the actual number on the "U" code 440's built. I had read or been told the number of "U" code cars was around 50, that was where I had gotten that number, and why I'm asking if anyone actually know the production number made.
If you are able to find the information you found in the past it would be great.

If there's some other 440 than a "U" code.. it's news to me.

Sorry, but "U" is the "code' for 440 engine.

If there's some other 440 than a "U" code.. it's news to me.
Hi Rem, The "U" Code was for the High Performance 440 motor, which had a higher horsepower rating then the standard 440 which many of the 1973 Chargers had in them. The "U" code had to be special ordered in 1973.
The "U" Code 440 HP motor put out 280 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E86 BUILD CODE #) where the standard 440 had 215 - 220 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E85 Build Code #) for 1973.

Hi Rem, The "U" Code was for the High Performance 440 motor, which had a higher horsepower rating then the standard 440 which many of the 1973 Chargers had in them. The "U" code had to be special ordered in 1973.
The "U" Code 440 HP motor put out 280 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E86 BUILD CODE #) where the standard 440 had 215 - 220 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E85 Build Code #) for 1973.
In that case, the E85 Charger would be the rare one.

The code for the standard 440 was "T" which had 215 - 220 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E85 Build Code #) for 1973.
The code for the 440 High Performance motor was "U" which had 280 hp with a single 4 barrel carb (E86 BUILD CODE #) for 1973.

Hmmm, seems to be a malfunction in this thread - I don't see any pics of the new guys' car?!?
Let's get that looked after tootsweet, ok?

newwelcome.jpg
:xscuseless:
Chop chop! :lol:

Welcome!

The E85 T code 440 was not available in the Charger lineup from 71-74. Only U code or V in 71 and a couple 72's. I have the production numbers at home that I can post later for 73's.

Pictured below is my 73 Charger SE Brougham that has the 440 HP and Sunroof, would have placed a picture sooner had I known it was required. I was only looking for information that could help me in knowing production numbers and rarity.
The car is a numbers matching survivor car with original paint, and build sheet as previously mentioned.

1973 Charger SE Brougham.jpeg

Welcome from Alabama, sorry I can't help with your question, my collection stops at 1972.

Very nice car.
Production numbers for 73 440 Chargers
WL21U3 Coupe Rallye 26
WH23U3 Hardtop Rallye 713
WP29U3 SE 1627

There were also 2494 Sunroof SE's but no break down per engine.

Pictured below is my 73 Charger SE Brougham that has the 440 HP and Sunroof, would have placed a picture sooner had I known it was required. I was only looking for information that could help me in knowing production numbers and rarity.
The car is a numbers matching survivor car with original paint, and build sheet as previously mentioned.

View attachment 1617779
Nice! My buddies car is an exact replica but in a 74.

Auto Transport Service
Back