• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Charger Project

Mopar-Charger

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1973 charger, bought it about a year ago. Been working on it ever since.

A-727TF Professionally rebuilt by Rincon Transmissions - Great job they took my father and I in the back and explained to us what we did wrong when we tried to rebuild it (June 1st, 2013)

Headers

Eddelbrock performance dual plain intake

550 CFM Eddelbrock Performer Carb (Plan on buying a 650-750 Holley DP

Purple cam - .509 lift I believe?

All original interior

Cooper Cobra Radial G/T tires - Plan on getting new ones, not enough grip and crud for cornering. Makes the detroit lean even more extreme.

18 x 10 Rear Tires
17 x 8 front

8 1/4 One tire fryer (limited slip) with .323 gear (I believe) Threw the drive shaft 4 times before breaking and taking the car to shop to find out i need a new yoke which would cost me $200 in parts. Shout out to Landspeed automotive for the awesome job they did.

Lastly dual exhaust bent down just behind the tire
This is what she looked like:

rYraBjI.jpg

YYFnBXF.jpg

gTyAduw.jpg

JID3L4h.jpg

dALRojQ.jpg

PVbePDv.jpg

I don't have an engine shot other then these. Which were after we took it out.

1oBkcVg.jpg

n2qJeo3.jpg

Getting Started (pulled the engine and tranny):

a84SXjq.jpg

I5NCLtR.jpg

iaByzhb.jpg

Tl9CtoN.jpg

ERBeZU8.jpg

QR9Sp3e.jpg

Engine Compartment:

ssQbiyN.jpg

iAvnVaF.jpg

oKnBq0i.jpg

wM3yvKP.jpg

AComjJf.jpg

With a can of Paint remover and a bunch of steel wool I got started on the engine compartment:

ulWtO7U.jpg

pHHXjX9.jpg

Brake Cleaner to get the buildup off the K-Member (dad wasn't to happy to have it all over the garage floor - "Amateurs mistake"

CAz9uFx.jpg

Found a good chunk missing under the battery tray.

N2XN5nb.jpg

Rebuilt the whole front of the car while I had the engine out (shocks, added disk brakes, ball joints, etc)
FEUIAan.jpg

After pretty much rubbing until my fingers were nubs this is what the whole compartment looked like

rIGzVjz.jpg

Sand blasted and fresh paint on the valve covers. Brought the engine outside with a power washer and hosed it down.

ckcOEgB.jpg

ZfkiPD0.png

0m9aWxH.jpg

aHYMvsr.jpg

PP5BKN2.jpg

CJR7hTd.jpg

mDOzLfI.jpg

This video is right after we put everything back. It was January 1st 2013!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgbZhopj2Js&feature=youtu.be -

We couldn't figure out what the smoke was coming from. Then like 10 minutes later believing it was the header gasket burning it ended up just being a towel on the headers.

Tomorrow i'll upload a new video of the car during idle. This one the carb was out of tune and had a really high idle.

Since I'm not made of money and my paychecks are underwhelming I've mostly done the cheap, free stuff. Other then the tranny.

I have plans to have the body work done and it painted Sublime green buy the start of winter. Then I'll head into detailing. Since the car is already non-original I might as well make it my own.

Welcome to the board. Nice job on the engine compartment. Everything on the car looks fixable but they do have a way of keeping you short on funds. :)

Welcome! Awesome pics and vid!!!! Good luck with the metal work and can wait to see some more updates.

looking good. just 1 correction though. limited slip rear differential= 2 tire fryer. open rear differential is a 1 tire fryer. I have an 8 1/4 limited slip carrier if you want. free to young buck mopar restorers. just pay for the ride.

Welcome to FBBO nice ride, I just enjoy seeing the younger folks taking an intrest in classic cars. We were building a 73 [my son and I] but he sold it a few months ago [dude made an offer he could not refuse] I would have liked to see it done but things happen. Your doing a fine job so far i'm signed up to see the finished product keep up the good work!!!!!

Glad to see you here.You're off to a good start on your car. Nothing wrong with working on the car yourself. Most of us here aren't rockefellers, so we buy/work when we can. That's part of the love we have for these older cars.

Update

New Dizzy - Mopar Perfomance Electronic - Upgrade from points

XuCXtVil.jpg

New Headlights - with halo's

F8LCGNtl.jpg

9jm9TSpl.jpg

JoIwQchl.jpg

Replaced Engine mounts

vwei4dzl.jpg

Rebuilt my Edelbrock Carb (sold for $170) - 600 CFM

yV7cyyul.jpg

Bought Rebuilt holley ($150) - 750 CFM

erJEepkl.jpg

Installed cutouts after headers

3SytTSQl.jpg

rfP0dHFl.jpg

New intake gaskets

MQ59lukl.jpg

Painted my hurricane rims

gcXEhKNl.jpg

Valve Covers (Old ones leaked had to buy new ones)

6cvwfvjl.jpg

5GpA5Lrl.jpg

Restored the under carriage and put Air shocks on

Before
3TILEHwl.jpg

After
B1Jit4ul.jpg

Replaced tank+fuel sending unit

rlyLuV1.jpg

Lowered it (then decided to give it a rake instead)

Before
PkKVM9k.jpg

After
gfvx03C.jpg

Final Product

fk4CfvF.jpg

I've added and replaced many things. When I purchased the car about two years ago it was pushing retirement. Now it's my everyday drive and starts every time. I've spent countless hours making sure everything worked and ran like it should. Engine-drivetrain-interior is practically new. Only thing i need to do now is save my money and get the body work done and repainted.

Haven't kept up with this thread, missing a few pictures, but here it is! I'll update it as I go and post pictures of the body work.

That is one fine looking Charger, the engine looks great!! I do hope things get to where you can get it body ready and painted, she looks pretty fine now and i know how it works but we may as well keep them looking there best and it appears you are doing that in fine order, Good luck to you and i hope after it is done and painted you'll share a few pics!!! :)

great looking car, love the rake. you do nice work keep it up

Love the headlights and the wheels. And I so dig the green.

Last edited:
Sweet! I really like it and the wheels actually look really good on it too! Me likey

Rear End Swap and Other Goodies

I purchased a Parts car (1973 charger SE)

Had a 9 1/4 3.55 Posi rear end, so I swapped my 8 1/4 2.71 for it. Here's some pictures

uuI28RMl.jpg

NR6gApql.jpg

D0r1BQwl.jpg

OFSBxVhl.jpg

Repainted it, put new brakes and lines on it

lGplgAKl.jpg

Ouk0DoTl.jpg

FOwRPV5l.jpg

Sweet upgrade from from 2.71, gets up and goes much better. Only downside is the 3k RPMs at 70

- - - Updated - - -

7COm14pl.jpg

vkprhSTl.jpg

J3m5vfal.jpg

Old hood had rust all about it, swapped it for this one and added hoodpins. Just primer for now.

Auto Transport Service
Back