• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Coronet "2 door"

4 doors don't look like 2 doors because they're 4 doors. People that bought 4 doors didn't care about 2 doors because they needed a 4 door. Otherwise they would have bought a 2 door.

:)
The 62 to 65 b body 2 door post cars,look like the four door cars. They use the same roof/roofline as the 4 door models. The 66 and 67 2 door post cars also share the same roof/roofline with the 4 door hardtop cars.

The 62 to 65 b body 2 door post cars,look like the four door cars. They use the same roof/roofline as the 4 door models. The 66 and 67 2 door post cars also share the same roof/roofline with the 4 door hardtop cars.
No arguments there, I got some of that ****
20240324_133817.jpg

:thumbsup:

Right, which is why this idea is not that far fetched because the factory essentially did the same thing twice before with the same platform.

So back to the conversion - maybe the 3rd gen. Charger doors would actually work. Presumably that's at least where you'd start since the length, height, shape, glass and body lines might already be in the ballpark.

It's likely easier said than done but besides moving the B pillar, could his whole operation be as simple as putting Charger doors on a Coronet?

So back to the conversion - maybe the 3rd gen. Charger doors would actually work. Presumably that's at least where you'd start since the length, height, shape, glass and body lines might already be in the ballpark.

It's likely easier said than done but besides moving the B pillar, could his whole operation be as simple as putting Charger doors on a Coronet?
A couple large issues to solve... the Charger lower body lines are a lot different, and the Charger door has a frameless window and the Coronet door has a frame around the window (like most 2 door post v hardtops). Neither would be insurmountable to a really good fabricator, but it's not a home DIY job unless you happen to have those qualifications. I suspect that the glass would be the biggest sticking point as I'm pretty sure the Charger glass rolls in more towards the top than the Coronet glass does. That isn't something a fabricator would solve, that's custom glass time. Neither easy nor inexpensive. I may have to accost my next door neighbor who has a '71 Charger and park the two near each other and take some measurements.

That was my initial thought about the Charger doors, they were too dissimilar. Maybe you'd be use the inner structure and then attach the Coronet door skin to it. Like I said, the Charger door height and length should at least be in the ballpark. I also believe the front curvature of the Charger door where it meets the fender is more dramatic. Possibly the rear as well.

The most accurate method I can see for the doors would be to combine parts of both existing doors. Definitely not an easy thing to do especially twice. How would deal with the door lock rods? Or find the right window felts? Details, details.

'68 Coronet Super Bee has pillar less doors so it's been done. The door glass frames could be reused from the 4 door though. They'd have to have whatever length that was cut from the rear added to them but that would be relatively easy along the straight part.

Right, which is why this idea is not that far fetched because the factory essentially did the same thing twice before with the same platform.

You would have to reskin the Charger doors with spliced Coronet sheetmetal,and add stretched upper door frames for the windows to jibe with the roofline.

This is starting to sound like a "Members Only" project where everyone here contributes some ideas, skills, parts and a car.

Well, those two are actually Coronets with Chargers parts adds on. So no real structural mods like moving/installing pillars or door frames.
Yep. Front clip is bolt on, but does not line to doors. White seems to have modified front doors with Charger skins. And rear end is stock Coronet. I'll use Charger quarter panels, tail panel and trunk lid. Rear window area has to be made fit Coronet roof and Charger panels. We'll see how it goes...

https://mattifarm.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Omat/Plymouth%20Belvedere%202d/IMG_20210526_133351.jpg]
_medium.jpg
[/url]

This one has b-pillar moved about 8" and front doors are lenghtened

That was my initial thought about the Charger doors, they were too dissimilar. Maybe you'd be use the inner structure and then attach the Coronet door skin to it. Like I said, the Charger door height and length should at least be in the ballpark. I also believe the front curvature of the Charger door where it meets the fender is more dramatic. Possibly the rear as well.

The most accurate method I can see for the doors would be to combine parts of both existing doors. Definitely not an easy thing to do especially twice. How would deal with the door lock rods? Or find the right window felts? Details, details.

'68 Coronet Super Bee has pillar less doors so it's been done. The door glass frames could be reused from the 4 door though. They'd have to have whatever length that was cut from the rear added to them but that would be relatively easy along the straight part.
Using pieces from both doors would probably be the approach. Still leaves the glass though...

Using pieces from both doors would probably be the approach. Still leaves the glass though...
Because the Coronet has the upper door frames with the window channels, they could probably be made out of Lexan.

When my friend built the 71 Plymouth GTX convertible, he had a foundry make the rear quarter windows.

Because the Coronet has the upper door frames with the window channels, they could probably be made out of Lexan.
Certainly doable, but having worked with them in a ton of race cars, lexan windows kinda suck. Easily scratched, and used on a street driven car with roll up windows they'd get scratched even faster.

I'm not sure how many 4dr hardtop B bodies there were, but not many? I always liked the look on C bodies. Ford did more of these in the intermediates.

1712300333528.png

1712300421630.png

Just had the thought that ‘75-up Charger/Cordoba inner door structure and glass may work. Those doors would certainly be long enough. Same platform too.

Or maybe C body 2 door glass.

Just had the thought that ‘75-up Charger/Cordoba inner door structure and glass may work. Those doors would certainly be long enough. Same platform too.

Or maybe C body 2 door glass.
The funny thing about my car is that though I wanted a four door as my daily and weekend kind of car, I really don't use the rear doors for much other than sports trips with my kids. Other than that, I would be just as happy in a two door.

The frightening thing would be that if my car was indeed a two door (Sebring-Satelite and the like) the urge to Hot Rod it up would be too great to resist. I love the design of the 3rd gen B group.
It would be rather interesting to see a conversion using parts from similar years and models throughout the Chrysler menu.

This is the 71 GTX convertible my friend did. He had a foundry make two of each side rear quarter windows. A pair to put in the car,and a pair of spares to have replacements if one got broken.

c51306c02089e48adb8170299e0add03.jpg

0c544703e957f3be9276adce9877706d.jpg

1971-plymouth-gtx-convertible-xcon-concept.jpg

1971-plymouth-gtx-convertible-xcon-concept (1).jpg

for some reason I like more the look of a 71/74 (actually more 71/72) Satty Convertible than a Charger

Auto Transport Service
Back