• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner headliner identification

John Hogan

Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
How as I continue to disassemble and research my Road Runner I keep finding things that I'm not familiar with on my earlier B-Bodies.
The headliner was missing when I bought the car but as I disassembled the interior I found a fair size chunk left by the rear window. It appears to be a perforated (you can see light through it) cloth and not vinyl. All of the replacements I have found are vinyl. Was there a cloth headliner in a '73 RR? It has the A88 deluxe interior package.

IMG_20220208_121437800.jpg IMG_20220208_121528229.jpg

Perhaps a stupid question, but does your car have a factory sunroof? Those had cloth headliners.

That looks exactly like what is left and shredded in my 73 Satellite Sebring. I've owned it since about 1983 so I'm fairly certain it was original. After a few years, if you touched it, it ripped, probably why few survived.

It looks the same as the original headliner that was in my 73. I couldn't find a similar type headliner, so I replaced it with vinyl, but I still have a piece of the original.

Yup, Cloth it was! Mine was still pretty solid just cleaned it up a little with water and a brush so I didn't have to search for a replacement.

It looks the same as the original headliner that was in my 73. I couldn't find a similar type headliner, so I replaced it with vinyl, but I still have a piece of the original.
Looks like that will end up being my plan as well.

Yup, Cloth it was! Mine was still pretty solid just cleaned it up a little with water and a brush so I didn't have to search for a replacement.
Wow, that material is so thin I'm amazing it survived! Great that you have a survivor original headliner. Looks like I'll be replacing mine with vinyl.

Those "perforations" don't look like the standard perforated headliner pattern.

My low line RL car has a different headliner. Kind of looks striped from side to side.

I believe another member went through this and found one.

Those "perforations" don't look like the standard perforated headliner pattern.

My low line RL car has a different headliner. Kind of looks striped from side to side.

I believe another member went through this and found one.
You are right about the "striped" look to the material. I believe Builderguy may have scored finding the correct material for my car.

Same in my 74 Charger with the headliner. It had cloth, not vinyl. I sent a sample to a custom automotive fabric shop 5 years ago and it was material used in a C-body Chrysler. They would make me a Charger headliner using the material for $450. I bought a vinyl for $100+ instead. It was SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon. Here's SMS : SMS Auto Fabrics - The Largest Selection of Classic Auto Interiors
You might try this place for fabric. Another place listed:
Original Auto Fabric: Greatest Selection of Vintage Auto Upholstery (oemautofabric.com)
Terry W.

20140507_133536 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back