• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Road Runner wiper linkage

Denis Arseneau

Local time
5:45 AM
Reaction score
Hi folks. Just buttoning up the car for the safety and need help with the wiper motor linkage for my 73 Road Runner. It's a three speed and not sure if I have the proper linkages. Bought the car as a unfinished project, so I didn't take it apart and car came with several boxes of parts. Some not belonging to the car. Will be getting a 73 Plymouth service manual soon, but wondering if someone can identify the proper parts.
a20220927_131331.jpg

In the photo up here, is that the right one? Linkage arm attached to motor #3431 646 58622

a20220927_132800.jpg

Or is the arm on the bottom of the pic the right one. Linkage arm attached to motor #3431 647 58622

a20220927_131421.jpg

And also, is this the right sequence assembling this part.

In your last picture: yes, that is the proper sequence to assemble the parts. Wiper arm goes between the plastic bushing and spring washer.

Note the part on the far right of the picture. It has two vertical metal "tabs". I mistakenly thought the wiper arm went through the narrow side (it just fits between the tabs). It doesn't, but rather get connected from the other side.

Hope that makes some sense...

That's a bunch of two speed hardware there, won't work with the three speed. Picture two, bottom motor to pivot link is correct for a '73 three speed wiper set-up.

That's a bunch of two speed hardware there, won't work with the three speed. Picture two, bottom motor to pivot link is correct for a '73 three speed wiper set-up.
I made a mistake - I realize my response (below - in post #2) was based on my 2 speed wipers on my 73 - not three speed. I do not know how the three speed wipers connect.

In your last picture: yes, that is the proper sequence to assemble the parts. Wiper arm goes between the plastic bushing and spring washer.

Note the part on the far right of the picture. It has two vertical metal "tabs". I mistakenly thought the wiper arm went through the narrow side (it just fits between the tabs). It doesn't, but rather get connected from the other side.

Hope that makes some sense...

I made a deep investigation about 70/74 conceleaded wipers... first trying to fix my 2 speed setup, then when I wanted to upgrade to 3 speeds, to be sure on getting the right parts, ALSO for the right year... 70/71 or 72s using brash bushing and retainers are kinda diff with 73/74 using nylon bushings

this is about the 2 speeds assembly which is the one you show on pics. But I can't find the thread where I reunited all the related threads.

the mistery about the 3rd gen wiper system

Thanks for the input. So drive link #3431 647 58622 which connects to the motor is for a three speed set up. Would the drive link that connects both wipers at the pivot, #3431 663 58622, be the same for the two and three speed? Also, would the 72 Plymouth service manual wiper description of the wiper set up be the same has the 73 Plymouth service manual?
wiperrs.png

Thanks for the input. So drive link #3431 647 58622 which connects to the motor is for a three speed set up. Would the drive link that connects both wipers at the pivot, #3431 663 58622, be the same for the two and three speed? Also, would the 72 Plymouth service manual wiper description of the wiper set up be the same has the 73 Plymouth service manual? View attachment 1349482

ANYTHING about 2 or 3 speeds really interchanges between motor and driver side pivot... meaning with this, crank, drive link. AND also Drive link will change depending on year ( snap on nylon or brass bushing with retainer )

About parts manuals... is kinda random. As far I recall my 74 manual shows the correct setup with nylon bushing but 73s... dunno if still shows the earlier bushing system brass/retainer like the one you posted

Thanks for the input. So drive link #3431 647 58622 which connects to the motor is for a three speed set up. Would the drive link that connects both wipers at the pivot, #3431 663 58622, be the same for the two and three speed? Also, would the 72 Plymouth service manual wiper description of the wiper set up be the same has the 73 Plymouth service manual?
That’s early ’72, late ’72 and up used a plastic snap-in gromet/bushing at the pivots.
wiper link.jpg

Thank you all for the great input. Will be gone tomorrow to set up our hunting camp with my brother in-law. Be back Saturday and tackle this. Will look again for the proper crank arm to motor.

My wiper linkage would fall apart after a few sweeps and eventually tracked it down to a mix of 2 speed and 3 speed parts from different years installed by the PO and myself. I ended up going through the parts manuals and putting this chart together, maybe it will help...

1664514406544.png

My wiper linkage would fall apart after a few sweeps and eventually tracked it down to a mix of 2 speed and 3 speed parts from different years installed by the PO and myself. I ended up going through the parts manuals and putting this chart together, maybe it will help...

View attachment 1350294
That is an excellent chart - thanks for sharing!

By the way, my linkage would pop apart every once in a while. I finally added an additional spring washer (so the two spring washers were doubled up), and my wipers have been working fine since.

Also, I have had trouble finding this piece:
1664541918800.png

The "ramp" on it wears and/or cracks, and it seems to be difficult to find one that is in good shape. I haven't found a reproduction part yet.

I think mine popped apart because there was a 2 speed parking cam on a 3 speed crank arm. I found enough parts to do a variable set up on my 71 and got away from the two speed altogether, no more popping apart and the variable/3 speed motors look nicer in my opinion. I even followed Nacho's suggestion about cutting down a non-rallye switch to fit a rallye cluster, worked out real nice!

The white piece is the release part of "CAM RELEASE PACKAGE, Wiper Parking", part number 2932869 (71) or 3879325 (72 up)

Try Herb's Parts: 1969-77 B, C, E Body 2 Speed Wiper Motor Cam Bushing, Wiper Blades & Refills, 3879325R or google those 2 numbers for other possible sources.

Good luck!

Wow - and even a vendor I have purchased from before. I guess I didn't do a very good job searching. :poke:

Many thanks for the link!

The 2 speeds parking cam FULL set has been out of stock at dealers since loooong time ago. Maybe 10-15 years ago was the last time I found it was into the regular stock yet. It was on $50 rate. Since is not anymore available at regular Mopar dealers, well, we have this now:

NOS MoPar 70-74 w/wiper cam release package 2932869

Latelly new reproduction parts has been released as shown on Herbs website but just the nylon parts, not the spring, or spring washer or retainer... althought retainer can be found separatelly since it has been a part of several setups since ever.
I have found the part which actually needs to be refreshed is the spring washer which keeps the drive link in place against the nylon parking cam assembly. But that's not available anymore. Is there some replacement option at some hardware store? dunno

Last edited:
The 2 speeds parking cam FULL set has been out of stock at dealers since loooong time ago. Maybe 10-15 years ago was the last time I found it was into the regular stock yet. It was on $50 rate. Since is not anymore available at regular Mopar dealers, well, we have this now:

NOS MoPar 70-74 w/wiper cam release package 2932869

Latelly new reproduction parts has been released as shown on Herbs website but just the nylon parts, not the spring, or spring washer or retainer... althought retainer can be found separatelly since it has been a part of several setups since ever.
I have found the part which actually needs to be refreshed is the spring washer which keeps the drive link in place against the nylon parking cam assembly. But that's not available anymore. Is there some replacement option at some hardware store? dunno
Wow. $229 is pretty steep for the parts - I'm OK with just replacing the one nylon parts and the spring washer.

I haven't replaced my spring washer yet, so I don't know the size. But a quick lookup shows that Grainger seems to have them. Unless they are an odd size, hopefully they can be found fairly easily.
https://www.grainger.com/category/hardware/springs/disc-springs

Hi,

I know this thread is old but I was wondering if anyone could help me with my 77 Cordoba. It has the same 3879325 wiper cam and I need some help with it. I have posted a link already here wondering if anyone from this thread can help. I should also mention the links to the Charger forum that the picture links are not found so I can't see how he assembled it back together.

I even followed Nacho's suggestion about cutting down a non-rallye switch to fit a rallye cluster, worked out real nice!

Didn’t read this before and never imagined somebody else could do it. I made it because being outside USA I allways have to think “out of the box” to solve problems.

Althought is true these switches are sold like gold and sometimes prices push us to think out of the box LOL. Specially being the 71 variable switch just one year piece.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back