• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Satellite front end too low

I forgot to mention that it also helps to have your strut rod nuts loosened up. This eliminates one of the things that fights you in getting the lower control arms pushed down to the max allowing easier torsion bars engagement.

That's a valueable tip, thank you!

Hi folks,
I recently finished re-assembling my front suspension after a total overhaul.
I replaced all bushings, bearings, tie rods and ball joints. Along with that, I sandblasted and powder coated all parts.

After installing everything, I noticed that the frontend of the Satellite sits really low, although the torsion bar adjusting bolts are almost all the way in.
In another forum I read the following:
"If they need too much adjustment, you will have to re-adjust your camber[upper a-arm]"

As I didn't adjust anything yet (only brought everything to torque specifications), I have a few questions:
a) Is the mentioned quote true and how does camber effect the height of the front end which is usually adjusted by the torsion bar adjustment bolts?
b) What the best way to temporarily adjust the camber / entire front suspension before the car goes to the shop for final adjustment? I have an upper control arm with a pivot bar (R,W car line, see image attached)
View attachment 1267022
I tried loosening the bolts (marked "D" in the picture) but was unable to move anything by hand)
c) the torsion bars only go in one way, correct?

Pictures of the progress can be found here, although not related to this post:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1VpnzyUgwt9BUMsX9ajTvlC_z8qHE3V_I?usp=sharing

Any help, guesses and tips are highly appreciated!

Best regards from Germany,
Paul
Hi,

Thanks for the link to your pictures!

I wanted to ask (sorry for hijacking thread) how did you replace the bushings on the upper control arms?

Hi,

Thanks for the link to your pictures!

I wanted to ask (sorry for hijacking thread) how did you replace the bushings on the upper control arms?
No problem ;)
The old ones were totally destroyed so taking them out was not a problem.
I pressed one side in with a vise, put the pivot bar in and pressed in the other side.
The other side is a bit trickier as you can't use a vise. You'll have to use something to stabilize the UCA. I cut a metal pipe in half (lenghtways), put it around the pivot bar, then pressed the second bushing in with a big vise.

Auto Transport Service
Back