• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973+ threaded lower ball joint torque questions (RTFM, right?!)

pdiz

Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
Okay, so I purchased MOOG K719 threaded lower ball joints. The shop manual states to install into the control arm at 125 FT-LBS. Fair enough. And the top nut at 85 FT-LBS. Fair enough... But the MOOG instructions state "NUT TORQUE TO 80 FT-LBS (IHC); 125 FT-LBS (CHRYSLER)". I presume I can ignore this and it's just an error and they meant 125 FT-LBS of torque as you thread the ball joint into the LCA, right? I'm talking about the actual diagram from MOOG has it wrong, the actual instructions have it right, kind of... Except they state "Install and torque castellated nut to 125 ft-lbs. on Chrysler Products and 80 ft-lbs. on IHC products". Again, the manual calls for 85 FT-LBS for the nut itself, NOT 125 ft-lbs (which is the lower-ball joint into the control arm)... What the heck is an "IHC product"? International Harvestor, apparently, from a quick google search?

Also, my suspension has been apart forever... I am not sure if I ever had a "PLAIN WASHER" under the nut of the lower-ball joint, but the instructions kind of make a big deal out of it... Should I leave out the "PLAIN WASHER" or keep it?

Thanks, everyone!

Here ya go, there should be a brass or copper (cant remember) washer with the ball joints, see these on my 73 both upper and lower have them.

20200622_193346.jpg

20200622_193357.jpg

Thanks for the photos. The washer that came with the MOOG K719 threaded lower ball joint was just plain steel. The Chrysler manual does not show a washer, just the nut, and the installation instructions says to leave it out if it didn't have one... Hmm... Not sure why a washer is so important, depending on application... I would think to always use one to spread the load, but I've been wrong before...

If you look closely, without the washer, the castle nut would drop below where the cotter pin goes, and therefore would not prevent the castle nut from loosening, I believe when I reassembled I discovered this issue, then installed the washers and all was good!

Now that is the best answer I've read in a while... Will use the washers! Also, at what point should I actually install/torque the threaded lower-ball joint; should I do it while LCA is off car, or with the LCA installed and torqued down so it "won't go anywhere" while I torque down the ball joint? And if the latter, should the car be up in the air (no load on suspension) or down on the ground?

Auto Transport Service
Back