• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 400 cu. engine

Ronald Weishaar

Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the compression was for a 1976 400 out of a charger? And what low cost bolt-on or cam what help in raising the performance?l

Holy cow that's pitiful for a big block! Any ideals to help that without sending a fortune?

I have a 400 in my 78 dodge magnum.
I plan on adding a pair of closed chamber heads and a camshaft upgrade. I just don't know which cam to get .

What rear gear do you have? 2 something?

I would suggest considering 440 Source aluminum heads and the smaller Summit cam (6400) with a Summit chain.
Spend a bit more on the heads and save on the cam.
With just bolt on parts this should give you really good mid-range power.

That 400 will respond very well to common bolt on mods...better ignition, such as MSD, better intake, tuned carb, headers or hiflo manifolds and exhaust. And of course the right cam and converter/rear gear. Better heads would be huge, but don't worry too much about not getting into high compression. I got my Dart into very low 12`s with the exact motor you describe, crappy stock pistons, stock iron heads and all. I would consider a cam from Hughes or maybe Racer Brown before I would go with summit or other basic off the shelf cam (Chevy grind)

Rear gears would be 3:55's or 3:23's, in back of a 727 trans. More than likely in an A or E body.

An 'RV' cam would help. That type of cam would build more pressure in the cylinders at a lower rpm range making the engine 'think' it has more compression. Been there done that....

I think you have the cart before the horse.

Proper cam, enough gear, headers will help. As for heads unless there aftermarket? I wouldn't bother with factory closed chamber heads. The only real way to get the compression up is to swap pistons. Smaler CC haeds, thin head gaskets won't gain enough. And by the way. If you measure the true compression it's less than 8.0-1
Doug

Can anyone tell me what the compression was for a 1976 400 out of a charger? And what low cost bolt-on or cam what help in raising the performance?l
I just did a 75 400 for a Dodge truck 4x4 440 source stroker kit to 512 cid FiTech injection, hydraulic roller cam 220 duration 520 lift. Hand ported the heads put a bigger intake valve in them. Idles at 16 inches of vacuum. made 500HP and 538 ft lbs torque.

I just did a 75 400 for a Dodge truck 4x4 440 source stroker kit to 512 cid FiTech injection, hydraulic roller cam 220 duration 520 lift. Hand ported the heads put a bigger intake valve in them. Idles at 16 inches of vacuum. made 500HP and 538 ft lbs torque.
If I didn’t want to drive this thing coast to coast I’d love that. Just want to boost it up to 3 or 350 horse without doing the bottom end. It’s a 77 400 with 85000 miles on it. The Lean Burn makes me worry about the valves, I dropped one in a 79 RV I had with about the same mileage.

Auto Transport Service
Back