• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st A12 is on Ebay.....

Comments regarding many of the above posts.

The link is now a removed listing on Ebay so I don't know who was selling it. However this car was "sold" at B-J in January of this year. If Best of Show is still selling it that means they bought their own car back.

This car has been discussed at length on the A12 forum web site and there are some that still question if this car is truely the 1st one built. If it is that DOES increase the desireability/value to some buyers, to others not so much. Dealers have an advantage over the private seller as they will take nearly ANYTHING in trade, and offer financing. Financing is something we can find on our own if we look but many don't or don't realize it is readily available. Most have the ability to do additional work on the car with their facilities if requested by the buyer and it of course is always negotible.

As I have stated in the past, the highest known price paid for an A12 car was $216K including auction buyers fee around 2003-4. It was a non-numbers matching car with upgraded (wrong) disc brakes and was a resurrected, totaled, burned car. I only bring this up as an example of past sales values. This sale was BEFORE the price peak of 2006 but there was no one paying anymore in between for an A12 car.

Regarding the prices today there are many things that effect the prices.

1. Does the seller really HAVE to sell? If so then there is a good chance for a bargain
depending on how many people might be chasing THAT car or not. I watch Ebay
weekly for cars like mine. I see final prices bid on cars that even in this market are
approximately 1/2 of their value showing "reserve not met." This tells me that the
sellers WANT to sell but don't HAVE to sell. It also shows me that there are people out
there that are probably bidding on a varity of cars that they would be "satisfied" with
but those cars are not necessarily their DREAM car. They are simply looking for a
bargain in this market that will "satisfy" them for the time being. Finding their DREAM
car and being able to BUY it may be quite a different story.

2. It is not just the upper tier cars that are less effected. It is also the combination of
rarity/desireability. As an example my car is 1 of 11 so it is VERY rare. How desireable
is it? Who knows. There are some that WANT a stripped 2 door sedan all business
type Hemi car, but others are more inclinded to want a more optioned 2 door hardtop.
If you specificly want or are drawn to a car like mine and the draw to it is the
numbers rarity you will have to pay MY price to own one because there are now and
haven't been one for sale for many years. Supply and demand.

3. Yes, every year we lose a few more of these cars to totals so there are less and less
of them. OTOH, we still have to remember that there is a window of high value for
these cars based on the size of the buying audience. More than not the younger
people have less interest in our old cars that we have a nostolgic kindship with. It
USED to be that we had the advantage of these cars still being better performance
cars than the commen man could aford to buy in a NEW car. however that has
changed with the new Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros. the ONLY advantage
other than the nostalgia desire I see for our old cars is the big block torque that is
not duplicated in the newer small block turboed/supercharged cars. All you have to
do is look at early Model A & T Fords. They used to bring big money for their time at
their peak, but their buying audience has died off and they are now cheap. The day
is not that far away that they baby boomers that drive the desireability of the
muscle car market will be dying off or losing interest of be done with them. Not trying
to rain on anyones parade as I am right their with you, but we all need to be aware
of it.

I just don't get the geographic thing. I would much rather buy a known rust free car from the desert southwest, California, etc. and spend $1-1.5K in shipping cost than a local rust belt car. It doesn't take long for that pretty paint job to start looking bad with chucks of bondo falling out. Then the cost of repair soon outweighs the cost odf shipping. It is not hard to confidently buy a car long distance without seeing it in person if you ask the right questions and get the answers from the seller. if they are not willing to answer these questions to your satisfaction then move on. i have bought MANY cars without personal inspection across the country and have never been disappointed.

The very first one might be hard to document,but I recently saw the lowest mileage survivor A12 with under 2000 miles on it:grin::yes:

IMG_1486.jpg

As I have stated in the past, the highest known price paid for an A12 car was $216K including auction buyers fee around 2003-4. It was a non-numbers matching car with upgraded (wrong) disc brakes and was a resurrected, totaled, burned car. I only bring this up as an example of past sales values. This sale was BEFORE the price peak of 2006 but there was no one paying anymore in between for an A12 car.

True, :yes: and I was totally shocked to see an A12, Especially the car in question, to pull those kind of numbers, It helped spike the prices on three A12 cars that I had and sold in 2006. I often wondered if this was a classic case of a Buyer with more Money that Sence, of if the Buyer just wanted that particular car that bad.:edgy:

Auto Transport Service
Back