• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Time moving under its own power in nearly 50 years.

Hemi2Much

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
It's finally moving under its own power. I dropped it down off the jack stands and sat it on all 4's for the first time in 2 years.
from sitting in a barn for nearly 50 years to back on the road (almost). Due to running long tube headers, I can't use the factory oil dipstick or trans dipstick so I'm waiting on some new ones to arrive before I can actually drive it on the road. Still need to get exhaust finished and front end alignment done.
It was a big day for me just getting the engine back in and moving under its own power again.
thumbnail_IMG_20210527_141306.jpg

Image (41).jpeg

It's ALIVE!!!

Cool! What's the history on it and how long have you had it?

Good stuff, tell us more about the car.

Good job! It looks to me like this project is just about finished,

The original owner bought the car new and only used the car for drag racing.
He raced the car for several years and eventually parked the car after having some engine problems. The car sat in the barn from around 1970 until he passed away about 2 1/2 years ago.
The car was gifted to me after he passed away. I made a promise to his wife that I would get the car back on the road. We had talked a lot about the car over the years and he always said he'd love to see his car running again. I tried to get him to let me work on it when he was still alive but it never came to fruition. After getting the car, I immediately started working on it. The engine was seized solid, it had been sitting for many years with no intake and the oil pan was totally rusted out from sitting in the dirt. I had all of the machine work done at a local machine shop and built the engine myself. I had the transmission rebuilt by PTC. I have completely gone through all of the mechanicals on the car replacing all of the brake lines, fuel lines, transmission lines, brakes, suspension, etc. I also went through the interior and put new door cards, headliner, and carpet in it. The original seats, other than being stiff are in remarkable condition.
This is the first time since around 1970 that the car has run and moved under its own power.
As soon I finish up the few things left on the car I will be showing it to his wife and daughters.
They are very excited to see the car again.
Thanks, JKent

I’m absolutely in love with the car and it’s story, and I’m glad it’s now in good hands. I would love to see pics of the family the day you return for them to see it on the road. May I ask….where did those rims come from? They’re awesome!

Truly awesome! Can't wait to see pics of engine, interior and such.

Super cool. It sounds like you are on the path to preservation, not restoration? I hope so.

I hope the car keeps the original "as drag raced" paint scheme....makes the car way more interesting than just another shiny painted Hemi car.

What a story, can’t imagine how you felt when you went to get it, what a gift, he thought very highly of you & the pics show why. Just like cosgig said, pics of the reunion would make it that more special. Congratulations & keep us posted.

Life is treating you well ,congrats :thumbsup:

I’m absolutely in love with the car and it’s story, and I’m glad it’s now in good hands. I would love to see pics of the family the day you return for them to see it on the road. May I ask….where did those rims come from? They’re awesome!
The wheels are Vision 148 Shift wheels in Satin Grey with machined lip. 15X8 in the rear and 15X7 in the front. The rear wheels have a 4.5 BS and the front have a 4.25 BS running 255/60/15 front and rear. I bought them off eBay
Rear wheels: 1 New Vision 148 Shift Satin Grey Machined Face/Lip 15X8 5x4.5 5x114.3 ET0 wheel 886821211159 | eBay
Front wheels: 1 New Vision 148 Shift Satin Grey Machined Face/Lip 15X7 5x4.5 5x114.3 ET6 wheel 886821211098 | eBay

Auto Transport Service
Back