• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2.94 versus 3.23 with a 4-speed...?

69SportSatellite

Local time
11:01 PM
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has run a 2.94 rear gear in a 4 speed B-body? From what I can see in the factory literature, you couldn't order a 4-speed in 1969 in anything lower than a 3.23, i.e., that 2.76s and 2.94 all required automatics.

I think this may have have something to do with putting too much strain on the clutch? I guess one could go to a 3.08 first gear, but I think the drop off between 1st and 2nd would be a bit much, no?

(Hope I got all the numbers correct in this post)

Thanks for any information, appreciate it.

Chris
Sacramento, CA

yea..you would be slipping the clutch too much to get it going from a stop....both my 66's are 3.23 geared...nothing higher ratio was offered

I have 3.0 gears in my 67 Ranchero with a 390 but the top loader (if I recall) is a 2.78 first gear ratio. No issues at all getting going with a stock 390. The 68 Mustang I had was a 302 4 spd car and also a 3.0 stock. At some point I put in a 2.94-ish third member and again no issues. If you are good with a clutch (and don't live in SF) I think you can make it work.

Well, I don't live in SF to be sure but I grew up in the Bay Area and am familiar with driving around SF with a clutch - -not all fun on some of those hills!

Ran a 66 Mustang Fastback with a T-10 and 2.80 gears. Not too bad but the car only weighed 3050. Top end was pretty good but wouldn't go over 4800 rpm in 4th with the 289. Those things just don't have any torque to speak of but had a 67 Coronet with a 383 4 speed with 2.94's and it wasn't any problem at all.....neither one was factory geared that way of course....

my 63 dodge 440 came from the factory with an hp383 4 speed and 2.76 sure grip, my dad who bought the car (2nd owner) talked to the original owner who said it was special ordered that way, he was stationed (air force) in texas and drove home frequanlty (up north some where, do not remember where). But, any how, we have had the car since 1970 and if you run the tall a gear and fourspeed, be preppared to be replacing the clutch about once a year, with no spirited driving. When I started driving it in high school i changed over to 3.91, more fun for a kid anyway!

I have a 3:55 with my A 833 four speed. I am kinda disappointed that I have to rev the engine some to get it moving from a dead stop. I thought it would leave a stop at idle speed with the 440 engine. Odd request, but this car will not go slow enough!!!.............................MO

I have a 3:55 with my A 833 four speed. I am kinda disappointed that I have to rev the engine some to get it moving from a dead stop. I thought it would leave a stop at idle speed with the 440 engine. Odd request, but this car will not go slow enough!!!.............................MO

It should move out at idle, at least mine did with a 3.54 gear. I let a friend try it out once and he accidentally started off in third, he got going almost normally. :)

I have the 3.09 first gear 833 O/D behind a mild 440. with a 2.76 9 1/4 rear.

It WILL move with a gentle easing off the clutch but without any throttle.

In fact you can also do it in second but it's not as easy.

I have the 3.09 first gear 833 O/D behind a mild 440. with a 2.76 9 1/4 rear.

It WILL move with a gentle easing off the clutch but without any throttle.

In fact you can also do it in second but it's not as easy.
Hmmm. My rear tires are 28" diameter. Has a .475 lift cam-unknown duration. I just got my car movable under it's own power-no mufflers or tailpipes. Maybe I just need to tune the carb and timeing?..................MO

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm. My rear tires are 28" diameter. Has a .475 lift cam-unknown duration. I just got my car movable under it's own power-no mufflers or tailpipes. Maybe I just need to tune the carb and timeing?..................MO
Another thing, it has a new flywheel and Centerforce clutch --maybe it is engaging to quick?...........................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back