• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2-door glass channel install confusion

Smokinnjokin

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out how to replace the front window channels on my ‘67 Satellite and the FSM is confusing me.. or i ordered the wrong parts. FSM shows that the plastic sliders attach to glass and hold the seal on, and that the whole assembly slides in channel. The flimsy plastic window channels in my set do not appear like the ones in the FSM at all, they don’t have any holes in them and look like they are designed to stay in the glass run without moving. Are there 2 seperate seals? What am I missing here?
9CBDE083-8431-4559-AC10-8362E85714F3.jpeg
04DFA217-29B8-4466-A662-3D7D79DC4AB1.jpeg
741996D4-0151-4EE8-BDCA-99B576FB8443.jpeg

Yes, you have to put holes in them as well as trim them to look like your originals. Also better to use your original white plastic sliders if they are in good shape. The new ones are to big and need some material removed before installing.

Darn, my originals are completely disentigrated, can’t copy them. Gonna have to wing it.

To replace these, how do i get the entire window removed and then slid back into the channel, from above or below? The plate on top of the channel is riveted on, does the entire quarter window assembly and channel come out?

Last edited:
I thought they revised those kits to correct this issue several years ago? The mopar replacement p/n had issues too.

Yep, gotta go in from the bottom and install qtr glass unit and side glass as one unit. Not easy, but has been done by many here. Wish I had taken more pics of my build, but didn't. Sorry! Others may have pics to share? ruffcut

This is going to be a lot bigger pain that I originally realized. Good thing its winter and I’m not missing out on good daily driving weather.

I "think" you can remove the vent frame, install the weatherstrip then slide the vent frame over it as you re install the vent frame, but honestly I can't remember...
OR can you take the top rubber piece out of the top of the vent frame and slide the glass and weather strip down, then reinstall the top rubber piece?

I think you have to trim a notch in the slide at the top as well as punch the holes for the glides that pin together. Someone said once the used a hand held hole punch which beats the way I did it. The holes in the front edge of the glass are your pattern for the holes for the glides.

Thankfully part of the original seals were intact and i used them as a template to exactly cut the replacement with an X-acto. Now that it is all put back together, I am really dissapointed with the quality of the repro sliders. It is very difficult to roll up the window, and it looks like they will fall apart in no time. I drive 99% of the time with windows down, so this will only be for emergencies if I get caught in the rain. Still, I see why people shell out the insane $$ for the real ones.

This is going to be a lot bigger pain that I originally realized. Good thing its winter and I’m not missing out on good daily driving weather.
No sir , go easy , it’s not that bad of a job actually ! Remove complete quarter glass and frame and door glass as one piece , if I remember correctly , and I think that is correct ! Have big towel or fender cover on your work bench , with the quarter window pointed away from you and gently remove door glass from to bottom ! The slider in the glass frame will be on your left ! Ok , I used a handheld hole punch like for paper to punch necessary holes in replacement plastic glider ( guide ) , if I remember correctly, I measured from the top of door glass at the point that it angles to the first hole in the glass and from that hole to the bottom hole to get my measurements! Now with the holes in place , if you have the original guide parts that go through the holes in glass , use those if all good , it will make it easier , if not used new ones and if to tight in channel, use some sand paper to adjust those for ease of installation ! Place plastic slider on glass and install the other parts through glider strip and glass , I added a very tiny amount of white grease to each one of the plastic pieces just on outside edge to help with the sliding ! Oh don’t forget to clean the window frame inside nicely to make reinstallation easier ! Sorry for being long winded , but it’s much easier to do than to try and explain it ! I will help if you need me ! Good luck , go slow on first one , second one will be a piece of cake ! JC

Thank you, I was able to complete the job but unfortunately the replacement channels conform very poorly and there is a lot of resistance sliding them. Oh well, I only roll up the windows if i get caught in an unexpected rain.

Where did you get the slides from - were they curved? Did you punch relief holes in the slides for the raised areas on the ends of the plastic glides as well as for the center fastening pin? I replaced mine last summer with the repro black ones which had a curve molded or otherwise in them. Seem to work very well as long as I used the plastic glides that came with them.

They did not have the curve molded in them, and yes i copied the oem hole pattern exactly using the old sliders as a template. I don't recall where I got them... they were $150. The plastic sliders were well made and the correct size compared to oem, just the incorrect cross section of the channel and lack of curvature gives it a ton of resistance sliding.

They did not have the curve molded in them, and yes i copied the oem hole pattern exactly using the old sliders as a template. I don't recall where I got them... they were $150. The plastic sliders were well made and the correct size compared to oem, just the incorrect cross section of the channel and lack of curvature gives it a ton of resistance sliding.
I would bet most of the hard movement is because you used the new sliders....

I guess I’ve underestimated the importance of the curvature molded in. I figured with just two areas of contact to the frame channel by the plastic sliders that it wouldn’t make much difference. I was wrong.

Just a brief heads up , I used a light spray of silicone in aerosol can , help immensely!

Not a bad idea, only downside i could see is it picking up dirt and grit. I might pick up a can and try it.

Auto Transport Service
Back