• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 speed versus 3 speed wiper differences

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:56 AM
Reaction score
Hey there....
My red '70 Charger ( Ginger) was coded for and still has the 2 speed windshield wipers in it. I have never had any trouble with them nor had to do any service to them. The wiper pivots do leak and I have the gaskets and seals to do the job but I'm considering a switch to the 3 speed setup if I am going to take it out to change gaskets.
I have another Charger. Some members here may have seen my thread on it...

Lookie what $5000 buys you....

2 Chargers GA.jpg

Jigsaw is coded for the three speed wiper option. It has a 3 speed switch in the dash already.

I have read that there are some differences in the mechanical linkage between the two.
Jigsaw was missing the motor, RH pivot and wiper arm when I got the car. I recently swapped in a 2 speed motor, a pivot and arm and while it only operates in 1 speed and doesn't "park". it does work.
I actually would like to convert both cars to the 3 speed setup. Ginger will need the switch and some small wiring changes but what else differs between the two setups?
Bruce Somer sells nicely restored 3 speed motors out here in California but I'll surely have to find a 3 speed switch.
Thanks....

Kern Dog, yes there is a difference in the mechanical linkage between the two.
The 2 speed arm that comes off the motor looks like this.
1670585415987.png

The attachment hole is large.

The 3 speed attachment has a small hole with a bushing. Plus the hole is offset.
July 8th (4).jpg

Here it is with bushing installed.
July 8th (6).jpg

I converted my current 2 speed linkage arm to 3 speed.
There is a guy up here in Montreal that sells a kit to do the conversion.
The kit consists of a round plug to close up the big hole (has to be welded in) and location dimensions and drivers to mount the smaller bushing.
Here's a pic of me flaring the bushing in place.
July 8th (8).jpg

Then the proper arm that fits to the 3 speed motor will now fit.
July 8th (13).jpg

I've never seen a setup like the one listed above , I have & still have several from 70 Chargers. I believe the only difference on the inside would be the addition of the switch, harness & the 273 arm & proper white bushing.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The linkage is the same between the 2 speed and 3 speed.

Curious, are you wanting the room to run multiple carbs or why bother with the 3 speed?

I wrote this up about 15 years ago when I converted my 69 Charger from 2 speed to 3 speed.

Here is a update. I looked in my 69 parts manual and this is what i found.

1-The dash wiring is the same all engines all wiper systems. This is for 69-b-body models.

2- Wiper motor 2 speed-2770090
3 speed 2983116

3-wiper link 2 speed 2631799
3 speed 2822273

4-Bushing 2 speed 2631766
3 speed 2580200

5-Switch 2 speed 3004177
3 speed 2864014

The rest of the linkage ect is all the same.

Kern Dog, yes there is a difference in the mechanical linkage between the two.
The 2 speed arm that comes off the motor looks like this.
View attachment 1384743
The attachment hole is large.

The 3 speed attachment has a small hole with a bushing. Plus the hole is offset.
View attachment 1384744
Here it is with bushing installed.
View attachment 1384745

I converted my current 2 speed linkage arm to 3 speed.
There is a guy up here in Montreal that sells a kit to do the conversion.
The kit consists of a round plug to close up the big hole (has to be welded in) and location dimensions and drivers to mount the smaller bushing.
Here's a pic of me flaring the bushing in place.
View attachment 1384746
Then the proper arm that fits to the 3 speed motor will now fit.
View attachment 1384747
That is not 70 or older linkage. Looks to be 71 or newer all outside under the hood/cowl.

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned this is for my 1971 Runner.
I assumed that 1969 linkage may be similar...

This is the linkage I pulled from Jigsaw, an original 3 speed setup.
IMG_1278.JPG

Nope....I just stuffed the parts in with new gaskets. I did run the wire wheel over the pivots and gasket surfaces.
The car will get gone through when I paint it. The linkage isn't hard to reach with no heater box in place.

Auto Transport Service
Back