• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20 PSI oil pressure

I thought the HP engines came with a 6qt pan. this is the pan off my 70HP engine. Holds 6qts.

sump 1.jpg sump 2.jpg

Well all I know is the pan holds 6qts, (+ 1 in the filter) it is the original pan, the dip stick shows full with 6qts in the pan and 1 in the filter. With 6qts in the pan it is full to the bolt rail, I have measured it with the pan off. Hemi, 6 pack and magnum took the same pan in 70 and 71, as far as I know. However, I only put a little over 5 in the pan.

I have 2 questions for you.
1) What viscosity oil are you using? If the viscosity is too low, the OP will drop off.
2) Did you check the pick up screen and tube? Are they clean and clear of debris ?

Hi everybody,
Before swapping the oil pump I'm going to swap the oil filter for a big one and now the weather is starting to get warmer I'm replacing my 15w40 with 20w50 with zinc additive, if this does not solve it I'm going to install the high volume oil pump.

I've got the 699 oil pan so with the big oil filter I can have about 5 quarts of oil, maybe overfill it with half a quart, the engine never sees over 5000 rpm because my (LPG) mixer only flows 460CFM.

I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for all the responses

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the quick responses!

Ah that's good to hear but just for my own peace of mind I would like to be around 30-40.

I also tried it with an mechanical gauges but its still the same....

I can't really recall the clearance numbers, I'll ask te rebuilder. But when the clearances are to big shouldn't the oil pressure at idle be lower?

I indeed also tried new sending units and gauges.

Thanks again for all the responses.
I'm going to shim the spring tomorrow, when removing the spring will the oil start running out? I've never done this before hahaha

Gr Marco
Be very careful as you shim , very thin to start with or you can instantly find a blown up oil filter and a huge mess , also change brand of filter to verify!

Hi everybody,
Before swapping the oil pump I'm going to swap the oil filter for a big one and now the weather is starting to get warmer I'm replacing my 15w40 with 20w50 with zinc additive, if this does not solve it I'm going to install the high volume oil pump.

I've got the 699 oil pan so with the big oil filter I can have about 5 quarts of oil, maybe overfill it with half a quart, the engine never sees over 5000 rpm because my (LPG) mixer only flows 460CFM.

I'll keep you updated!
Thanks for all the responses

20W50 is ok with our climate, i am using it all year round.
Not much driving done in winter months though due to road salt.
But if you buy a HV pump, don't forget to order a bolt kit for it, as the pump housing is higher you require longer bolts.
Not sure where you are ordering, i buy a lot from Moparshop.de and they also carry a bolt kit.
https://www.moparshop.com/en/Online...t-Kit-Oil-Pump-BMM-High-Volume-Oil-Pump?c=589

Yeah, I shimmed the oil pump till I got about 40 psi cold idle.

Ah thanks Wietse, a fellow dutchie I see!
Bedankt voor de tip over de langere bouten, hier had ik helemaal niet over nagedacht!

Yup, another Dutchman who loves Mopars.
I live in the north in Friesland.

Did your oil pressure suddenly became so low or has it been like that all the time?
I kinda worry you could start having issues with bearing clearances and are now masking it (temporary) with a HV oil pump.
If it has been like that all the time there should be nothing to worry really and the HV pump will boost your oil pressurel

Aahh good to hear, Im all the wat from Maastricht hahaha.

I have only added the oil pressure sensor a few weeks ago so i have no idea if it has always been this low. I added the high volume oil pump with the low pressure spring and I now have 40 PSI at idle and 60 PSI all the way up in the rpms.

Thank you for all the responses!

Auto Transport Service
Back