• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017/18 Ram 2500/3500 ABS failure

GTXDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:48 AM
Reaction score
If anybody has a 2017/2018 Ram 2500/3500 and the Anti-lock brake system has failed (warning light on dash says SERVICE ABS) please go onto NHTSA and file a complaint about it. There are lots of complaints all over the internet about this issue, with nothing being done by Dodge/Ram. There has been a class action law suit started on the left coast for this. I see news that the NHTSA is possibly starting an investigation because of so many complaints.
Mine failed on my 18 Ram 2500 in 2021 while under warranty, and it has failed again now out of warranty with 47000 mi. The parts are almost impossible to get for repair and now with the strike they will be made out of unobtainium.

Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153)

I think if the same part fails while under warranty, it’s still covered when the warranty expires. Don’t take that as gospel.

Has anyone searched for internal service bulletins within Chrysler? I know it took that much for an intake gasket issue with some GM cars 20 years ago. For a few years GM switched to just using a robot with a giant caulk gun instead of actual intake gaskets on the 3400's and 3100's and surprise, they would fail before 50k miles. It wasn't until an internal dealer service bulletin was made public that GM decided to stop charging people for the repair.

There is a tech bulletin and all it says is to replace the ABS HCU. It costs around $500 but you can't get one. If you go to the dealer for this issue they will tell you there is no history of this issue, which is an outright lie. It will cost you $1200 - 1500 to get it done when and if they ever get parts. All the research I've done says the electric motor on the HCU is what fails. One gentleman on the Cummins forum said he went to the junk yard and got the motor off of an older truck (2008) and swapped it out and fixed it. I went to the local Pullapart and all the HCU's are gone off the trucks in inventory. This tells me there is an issue and people are capitalizing on it already. Lots of used HCUs on Fleabay with new part prices.

Auto Transport Service
Back