• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 6.4L out of Ram 3500 in 73 Charger?

MoparMilitia

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
hello all, haven't posted in a while but i'm glad to be back!
so, heres the story. i Have a block and all parts of a 6.4L Hemi out of a 2017 Ram 3500 that was blown up. I also have a 1973 Charger, with a 6.6L 400 that started making Lifter noises and lost all oil pressure. im sure you can tell where this is going. Im also sure, that this has been discussed before, but through my research i cant find anything like the setup i have in mind.
So, we know mopar makes the 6.4 Standalone computer kits for their crate motors.. will that work with a stock 6.4 out of a ram? also, i know everything else is doable, mounts headers etc... but, i want to keep the car completely 1973 minus the motor. meaning stick with the original 727 Torqueflite, and everything else. also, what would it take to make this stock ram 6.4 a scat pack motor? possible?

End goal here, is rebuild the 2017 6.4 to a scat pack type motor, drop it in the 73 charger, use the mopar standalone computer and harness, bolt up to the 727, get some tuning and roll out. Thoughts? suggestions? answsers? anything is greatly appreciated and i look forward to chatting with you guys. Thanks, Ian.

Might also add, That the 6.4 out of the ram was blown up because it took on water, bent every rod on the passenger side of the motor. Hence, looking to fully rebuild into a scat pack if possible. but, cant really find what makes a truck 6.4 different than a challenger / charger scat pack 6.4. Heads? Pistons? Programming? whats different and what do i need to do to make this 6.4 Ram motor a beast.

You are not going to be using a whole lot from the inside, so examine the specifications of what you want and go for it. The stand alone computer should be good for all intents and purposes. You will have to have a small block 727, not a big block. I don't remember the exact thickness of the adapter used to make the converter work.

Doing a 6.4 in a 72 Charger using a scat pak motor from 2017 challenger. There is a lot of stuff available for 72 and down B Bodies but not sure about 73. You don't need an adapter for small block 727 just a correct flex plate. You can check Bouchilon Mancinni and Roseville for info. Holley has come out with a bunch of stuff recently and might check them out. The mopar performance controller does not work with truck motors I am told.

Auto Transport Service
Back