• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22” aluminum radiator

Moms68

Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Upgrading from a 340 to 440 in a 1968 Dodge Charger. Currently the car has a 22” 3 pass radiator. Will that radiator sufficiently cool the 440?

I 68 Mopar used a 22" radiator unless you ordered air, heavy-duty cooling, or a package that included heavy-duty cooling.

We run 26 inch Aluminum Radiators in all our
cars. Of Course, It is 119 Degrees today outside
our shop!

One of the member here has a 70 Bee with a 440 with a 22 inch radiator from factory.

What I run in the 68 down here in Not as Hot as Neveda, was 105 and it stayed 180 creeped to 195 in traffic.

One of the member here has a 70 Bee with a 440 with a 22 inch radiator from factory.
My Dad had a 440/6 Cuda with a 22 inch radiator (two or three row) from the factory with a
4 Blade fan. It was built with a no track pack or Super track pack on a special
zone order. Manual Drum brakes. It was used on Adam 12 TV show thru most
of 1970 and sold to him with 900 miles after the show for $2.695.00
It had F70/14 Whitewalls and Steel wheels with full wheel covers.
It must have been 1 0f 1.

I snuck it out to Irwindale raceway (Slowest track in So Cal) and it ram 13.21 @105.75.

Yes it ran HOT in the summertime in California.

I saw the car again on reruns a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
My GTX has a 22” radiator, once I got the rest of the cooling system components sorted out it keeps it’s cool regardless of the ambient temperature. Key components are a NOS fan shroud, 7 blade Mopar fan, Hayden fan clutch, Milodon HV water pump and Flowkooler balanced flow T-stat.

Auto Transport Service
Back