• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

235/60 on a 14x5.5?

GTXperience

Local time
3:42 PM
Reaction score
What has prompted this question is that I was going to sell a new set of BFGs (2-235/60/14s and 2-205/70/14s) that was slated for an A-body and that project is now going to a new home. I didn't even consider using them on the '68 GTX because of the wheel width (5.5"). Recently, I have heard of people running this size on their 5.5" wheels. The mnfr suggests a 6"-8" rim. Is anyone successfully running this size tire on their 5.5" wheels and is there a tremendous amount of sidewall bowing? Of course, I am concerned with the fitment of the 235s and not the 205s. Any pics would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You might have a hard time finding a shop to mount those, due to liability issues. The site I checked recommended 6.5 to 8.5. If it was me I would not do it.

You might have a hard time finding a shop to mount those, due to liability issues. The site I checked recommended 6.5 to 8.5. If it was me I would not do it.

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I am looking for in order to make a decision.

Anyone else have any feedback re: the fitment of a 235/60 on a 5.5" wide rim? The idea of putting the BFGs on is spurring on the idea of cleaning up the Magnums.

I have 205/70X14" tires on 5" wide wheels on the front of my 66 Hemi car and
255/60X15" drag radials on 7" wheels on the back. They don't look bulged to me. What do others think? The tires are wet in the pictures.

66HEMI2.jpg

66HEMI4.jpg

That sounds about right and they look good. I'd like to see a closeup of the rears though from rear to front.

235 would be too wide. Also with the wider tire you may not be able to get the proper air pressure in them without wearing out the center tread. I'd say the 205's on 6pack's Coronet would be the max.

205 is over an inch narrower than a 235, so would fit better on a 5" wheel than the 235 will fit on a 5.5" wheel. Plus, the 70 sidewall allows for a narrower wheel. The same site that says 6.5" to 8.5" for your tire says 5" to 6.5" for 6Pack's. You might be able to get away with the 235 tire, but you'd be going against the manufacturer's recommendations, and just ask Ford and Firestone how well that worked out.

205 is over an inch narrower than a 235, so would fit better on a 5" wheel than the 235 will fit on a 5.5" wheel. Plus, the 70 sidewall allows for a narrower wheel. The same site that says 6.5" to 8.5" for your tire says 5" to 6.5" for 6Pack's. You might be able to get away with the 235 tire, but you'd be going against the manufacturer's recommendations, and just ask Ford and Firestone how well that worked out.

Yeah, but you have to remember that is only 1/2 per side. I agree that the side wall profile does effect it but look at the 255/60X15s on my 7" rim also for comparision. I think a 235/70 would be about the max i would want to go on a 5" rim but I would personally run it.

Here is a close up of the rear wheel/tire.

HEMI TIRES2.jpg

HEMI TIRES.jpg

Thanks for replying to my tire/wheel question folks. I have an ad placed for Magnums with a 7"-8" width but until I hear back from someone, I may go ahead with cleaning up/respraying the originals and attempt to mount one of the 235s just to see how it looks - can't hurt trying.

It has nothing to do with how it will look. The issue is with the improper fitment of the width of the tire vs. the width of the wheel for safety reasons. If the tire is too much wider than the wheel, the extra bulge will put excess stress on the tire sidewall, which will in turn build up more heat. Why do you think it's dangerous to drive a car with under inflated tires? That was a huge part of the Explorer fiasco. The tires would get overheated and cause the tread to separate. By no means am I saying this will happen to you, and the tire fitment numbers are guidelines and obviously not set in stone, but they do have them for a reason. Also, if this is just a weekend cruiser going back and forth to local shows, you will probably not ever build up enough heat to make a difference.

As far as the 7" wheel with 255 tires, the 7" wheel does still fall within the recommended wheel size, albeit at the low end. However, using the same guide, the minimum wheel width for the 235 is 6" (some say 6.5", though). That extra half inch might not make any difference at all. Who knows. You just asked for opinions, and I'm giving you what the specs say. Your best bet will be to take them to a shop and ask them to mount them, and see if they say anything. If they do it with no questions, then you're on your way.

I am all about safety but these days product manufacturers take things WAY beyond reality. We have a sue happy country these days so they overbuilt and under-rate things now. If heat build up in the side walls are a concern I would just run a little more air pressure to compensate. Most people don't run the recommended air pressure anyway.

I 4 wheel in the sand and we run 8 psi in the tires in the sand for best traction and have no problems, however when you get back on the pavement you have to watch your cornering speed of you will pop a bead. It is all just a matter of common sense.

It has nothing to do with how it will look. The issue is with the improper fitment of the width of the tire vs. the width of the wheel for safety reasons. If the tire is too much wider than the wheel, the extra bulge will put excess stress on the tire sidewall, which will in turn build up more heat. Why do you think it's dangerous to drive a car with under inflated tires? That was a huge part of the Explorer fiasco. The tires would get overheated and cause the tread to separate. By no means am I saying this will happen to you, and the tire fitment numbers are guidelines and obviously not set in stone, but they do have them for a reason. Also, if this is just a weekend cruiser going back and forth to local shows, you will probably not ever build up enough heat to make a difference.

As far as the 7" wheel with 255 tires, the 7" wheel does still fall within the recommended wheel size, albeit at the low end. However, using the same guide, the minimum wheel width for the 235 is 6" (some say 6.5", though). That extra half inch might not make any difference at all. Who knows. You just asked for opinions, and I'm giving you what the specs say. Your best bet will be to take them to a shop and ask them to mount them, and see if they say anything. If they do it with no questions, then you're on your way.

Thank you for your input. What I meant by "looks like" was to see how the fitment of the tire to the wheel turns out. I won't know until it is mounted.

Auto Transport Service
Back