• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273- Rear main seal leak fix?

Here's something kinda cool. I was going through the paperwork I got with the car, and it had this in it...they still left the 2 bbl. on it though.

20200331_122719.jpg

FWIW, that cam flat plug is installed incorrectly. It is smashed in too far in the middle. Not only can it contact the cam, but the pressure applied to the edges by expansion (flattening) is not adequate.
Well it's been in for 14 years now with no leaks. When I installed the cam I didn't have any issues with the retainer not fitting correctly because the cam was too far forward. Nowhere in the FSM does it tell how to "properly" install the plug.

Last edited:
Well it's been in for 14 years now with no leaks. When I installed the cam I didn't have any issues with the retainer not fitting correctly because the cam was too far forward. Nowhere in the FSM does it tell how to "properly" install the plug.
Of course not, that is a closely guarded secret by us machinist's... I wasn't saying it was leaking, just pointing out that it could be a problem at some point. If it is not hitting, that is good. Usually only older engines used the flat plugs, so your average guy that works on newer stuff (mid 60's and up) probably have never seen any. I usually use a properly sized piece of bar stock, and carefully (never works out) flatten the plug. As it flattens out, the outer peripheral grows and locks it into place. You remove them by driving them in further to essentially shrink them, then a slide hammer screw puller will remove them.

Auto Transport Service
Back