• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

295's on 68 Roadrunner

Jhuelin

Local time
5:40 PM
Reaction score
Hi all,

I hate to be one of those guys with a "will this fit" question, but I need some guideance. I have done a lot of research into this already but I have an issue with what rims I can get my hands on here in Aus.

Basically I want to run a 295/50/15 Radial TA on the rear of my 68 roadrunner. Looking at the info I need a 15x10 rim with about 5.5" backspace to make this fit. I want to put centerline convo pro's on, but I can only get them in a 5" backspace here for some reason. Does anyone know if that will fit alright? Will I need to have my guard rolled?

For the front I am looking at a 215/60/15 on a 15x6 convo with 3 3/8" backspace. Does that sound correct?

Any help would be appreciated!:icon_bounce:

I'm pretty sure I run 285's on my 68 Satellite Ragtop in the back, but I dunno how much space there is left. They were supposed to go on the 70 roadrunner (and they were about as big as it could go I thought) before a switch to the Satellite was decided and the runner got different tires.

A 10" rim on a RR might cause some clearance issues. 15x8 with a 275/60/15 is a popular choice.

Thanks for the info. Currently I have 275/60/15 on the car, not sure of the offset. They fit fine, I rekon I have a good 1" clearance on the outer wheel well lip and probably 1.5" between the tyre and the spring. Might make some measurements to be sure I think...

285's could be a good compromise, though havent seen too many types in that size. Alternatively I could fit a 295 on a 15x8 rim as well I guess!

69 Coronet. 15x8. 295/50 15's. Lots of room.

http://vexer.com/68rt/old_outdated_badly_coded_old_old_old_wheelguide.html

i had 15 x 10 centrelines with 295 50 15 on my 68 charger i am pretty sure there the same as the RR, this should help this fitment guide

- - - Updated - - -

not the best picture but this is 15 x 10 5" BS with 295 50 15 radial T/A's on a 68 charger and it has NO spring relocation or tubbed, it gave about an inch to fender lip and 3/4 " to inner wheel well

DSC00346.jpg

I had this discussion over a year ago on here and a few of the forum members are running 295/50/15's on a 10" rim with no issues. I'm not sure of the backspacing, but one guy posted pics (Satelliteman I think) and he's running 15" Centerline Telstars. Look up the backspace on the Centerline website and check. I think you'll be fine.

I have a 1968 Road Runner with P295/50/15" BFG Radial TA's on 15x9 w/4.75" offset/backspace, on Halibrands polished slots, lots of room on both sides, no mods to the wheel wells at all... If I remember correctly 15"x10" wheels will work with "I think" it's 5.5" B/S & still have the P295/50/15" BFG Radial TA's or even a little bigger, with plenty of room still... I had another 68 RR with 15"x9.5" w/5.25" B/S w/P390/45/15 M&H drag radials, when the car was real low it would rub on hard launches, in the narrow "upper part" of the inside of wheel wells {near the top the wheel well gets much narrower}, that combo had the outer lip rolled under, & 1/2" clearance on either side, but with a shorter tire 295/50 is like 27" or so, the M&H Racemasters 390/45/15 was 12.5" wide tread & 29.5"+ tall, there supposed to be on 12" wide rims they are taller on the 9.5" wide rim more like 30"+ tall... What I'm getting to is, you can fit a ton of tire in the B-Body platform with the correct wheel offset/backspace & proper ride hieght... A company named Percy, makes a great tire fitment tool, thats like $70, from Summit Racing, it's a great cheap investment, to be able to know for a fact what actual tire & rim combo will fit perfect, the 1st time with your ride hieght, rear end, brakes & suspension combo, with no expensive &/or frustrating mistakes or returning rims or tires....

I'll check on my brother's 70 Road Runner backspacing, but he is running a 15 /10 Weld Superlites with 295/60-15 Mickey Thompson ET Streets and there are no problems no relocation stock everything. We tried 325/50 and they would fit but you couldn't hit any bumps, but 315 fit no problem. He went with the 295/60 because it is taller and that helps the car out on the highway. I think that he is running 4.5" offset, but I will make sure.

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies! That makes plenty of sense. I am thinking I will go with the 15x10 convo's with 5" backspace and 295/50/15. I had pretty much decided to ditch them and go for a 15x8 and a 275 instead, but with the 522 donk going in I think i need as much rubber as possible...
Love the look of that 68 charger from the back Benno! That looks mean, exactly what I am going for.
Might pull a wheel off over the weekend and make some measurements to be sure. Not sure what BS my current rims are or what width they are, but I have a 275 on the back now with plenty of room, especially inboard.

I made some measurements over the weekend and I'm fairly confident there will be no issues.
From the wheel mounting surface to the nearest inboard point (leaf spring) is 6.5". From the mounting surface to the nearest outboard point is 7". So I figure I will run a 15x10 with 5" backspace, which gives me 1.5" inboard clearance, which should be more than enough to account for sidewall bulge. Also gives me a good 2" on the outboad side. According to the tyre website, a 295 has a sectional width of 12.2", so with 5" backspace rim this is 6.1" hanging back towards the springs, so I should have 1/2" of clearance no dramas.

Only hard part appears to be checking how much sidewall bulge you need to account for, as the actual width of the tyre tread is not the main issue.

its not alot on 10 " rim with 295, you will be fine i guarantee

A couple of you mentioned a 315/50/15 on 10" rim. Is that common too, hit and miss, or does it always require some kind of mini-tubbing?

315 will require spring location change and it will fit butyou cannot lower the car as it will rib when spring is compressed.
however 305 i have been told is the biggest you can put on without mods but the BS has to be perfect

I have 295/50 BFG T/A's on 15 x 8 inch rallye wheels on the back of my 70 Road Runner and they fit OK

Section width on a 295 15" is 12.2". Check out Antique Tyres website, they have most of the info there online or call em. Good blokes to deal with. If you can get your hands on one of there catalogues, it includes a bigger selection of tyres and includes extra data like overall tyre height. Good for working out the cars stance, filling wheel wells etc.

http://www.antiquetyres.com.au/1529550

Auto Transport Service
Back