• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.90 Gear pattern

What brand is that ring and pinion set btw?
I was considering to buy a set from DoctorDiff, they are cheap but i am sure they will sell good quality since this is their business.

I bought Richmond from summit. I’ve never bought from doctor diff but have read amongst the forums that they will steer you right.

Well I’m a little disappointed did my final assembly and pattern isn’t as good as when I did my set up. Must have been some variance between my set up bearing and the new one I pressed on. Still nice and centred between the face and the flank but moved down. I set backlash at .008 trying to move it up some no change. What do you guys say leave it or go back to the drawing board?

View attachment 1240737

Anyone else have any thoughts on this pattern my ocd and lack of ability to test drive is killing me.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this pattern my ocd and lack of ability to test drive is killing me.

You are damn near the "by the book".
I have no experience with rear ends but with other types of transmission and reduction gearboxes and i would leave it like it is.

For your OCD i've left a shop manual snap shot :)

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-17 om 22.01.47.png

What brand is that ring and pinion set btw?
I was considering to buy a set from DoctorDiff, they are cheap but i am sure they will sell good quality since this is their business.

I had my 8.75 rebuilt
I chickened out and paid someone for a rebuild with Warranty
I wanted the same gear set as the 3.91 I originally had
there was no 3.91 gear set for a 741 case
I had to go with the 489 case
the 3.90 gear he used was Yukon
my re-builder preferred them

My buddy who raced 8 3/4's for years always set them up shallow like that. His theory was when you applied power the load would move towards the center of the tooth.

When applying load on the tapered pinion and ring in this application, the pinion wants to move in a forward direction and away from the ring gear.
The pattern is likely to move more towards the edge of the ring gear tooth and towards the heel end, which would be no problem for the OP his setup.

Wish I had that even of a pattern when I did this set. Some of these aftermarket sets can drive you nuts :screwy:
20211129_175928.jpg

20211129_175900.jpg

What a goofy looking pattern!

Like Doug said, all you can do is get the pattern centered between the crown and the root. Heel and toe are a crap shoot. I tried every shim combination and set backlash from one extreme to the other. The housing can be at fault here as well as the ring and pinion manufacturer. So it is what it is sometimes.

Auto Transport Service
Back