• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 in 1 mill, drill & lathe combo.

That's a pretty cool looking little machine. I understand the draw to have one for fun just in case you needed to make or repair small items.
I agree with 747 and not buy one new. Maybe you can find one used that someone else has found to be way too limiting in actual use to the point of frustration. The capacity is very limited.
You will find (for example) the "milling" portion of the machine is just a drill press that is in the way all the time and when drilling something needs to be done there is little room for a part of any size under the chuck.
You know best what it may be called upon to do. Just because it may be -possible-to make on this it could turn out to be just a frustrating tease that it can do all things.
32d6d55aa0dfcd1b2a5f1923e3c9d7aa--this-man-musical-instruments.jpg

Last edited:
I never thought I'd buy a 3 in 1 but ended up with a two year old lightly used Smithy Granite I-Max 1340.
20161031_203735.jpg

I have no experience on smaller 3 in 1's but the one I got exceeds my hobby needs. I was looking for a lathe and got a mill in the deal (something I've wanted but never thought I'd get). It's single phase 220 and variable speed (no belts swaps to change speeds). I have it in my basement.

To the OP, if space is a concern, get the largest that will fit the space (bigger is usually better). And be patient if you're buying used. Good deals occasionally pop up.

At the $150 setup and $100 per hour they want for machine rates around here buying the new part is cheaper than repair.
I miss the old country machine shops.

when some of have of us have smaller garages it is hard to put so much of the larger equipment in them plus cars and have working space ,I would like to add on but that wont happen in my city
When I posted a picture of mine I was only showing what you could buy cheap, one could buy a smaller old unit for less. In my case I want the capability to throw a rear axle in it, cut the tubes and narrow it as well as doing drive shafts.

You bought that LaBlond lathe for a grand! Did you have a ski mask and pistol LOL!!! Single or three phase motor? Very nice though!
3 phase, already have a phase converter ready to be installed and wired the garage with that in mind. No mask, my dad is good friends with a guy that makes a living off of buying up equipment and selling them. This one happened to be one of my dad's favorites from a former employer.

I wanted a lathe and a guy on the next block had several. I saw a pre war South Bend it was all apart and rusted, i gave the guy a hundred. The way that lathe was made, the quality, the steel, i freed it all up, oiled it put it all back together. I found a place that makes the drive belt, got a motor and switch and i was in business. I sold it like a fool and wish i had it back
I run one of those at work, decent lathe but not rigid enough for precision work unless you don't mind babysitting the final cuts. Would make a nice garage lathe. I've been spoiled, my dad owns 2 Monarchs and after running them everything else is so so.

Most of the work I would have for one would be in the 2 ft and less range. Nothing with aro space specs. just simple repairs. Stuff no one wants to do any more.

Auto Transport Service
Back