• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 point retractable belts

Darius

Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone used these belts from year One or Classic in a 68-70 B with buckets?
Opinions?

First of all kudos to you on your car build. I have a great deal of respect for the work you have been doing on it - and thanks for sharing - lots of good ideas there!

I bought 3 point retractable seat belts for my son's 73 Road Runner, and they work well. In that installation, I didn't want the big, ugly retractor sitting out, so we took off the back panel and hid them in there. There was enough room and the belt happened to line up with ash tray hole, so we simply routed it out there.

Now, I know that is a 73 and not a 68-70. With my 70 Road Runner, I am planning to do something similar, but have not yet executed on the idea.

Generally, my thought is to again hide the retractor behind the rear seat side panel. Unlike the 73, there isn't enough room in the 70 to fit the retractor behind the panel, so I am thinking I need to cut some of the inner metal bracing on the body to make a pocket for it. If it is placed at the front part of the panel, it looks like it will line up with the roof seat belt connection point.

Finally, I would need to make a slot where the belt could pass through. At the moment, I am thinking about making a slot near the front, top of the panel and using a "Bezel Webbing Guide".

Of course, I don't know if some of the positioning ideas I have will truly work. I was just starting to think about measuring this and starting work on it - as a matter of fact I had the bezel picture up in another browser when I read your post! Either way, I figure a man of your skills may be able to run with this idea! (I also want to put 3 point retractable seat belts in the back seat as well and pass those through the package tray - but one project at a time!)

Best of luck!

Hawk

20111105_1003.jpg
bezel.jpg

Thanks Hawk. That is a good idea about cutting/fabbing a recess in the side of the floor pan for the retractor assembly. We already fabbed a mount for the parking brake handle between the seat and the door on the floor board "slope" and that worked out well.
How do you like the quality of the belt system and how it functions?

Hi Darius.

I have been generally pleased with the seat belts. I didn't say in my original post, but the belts I purchased were from www.seatbeltplanet.com. I purchased the metal push button style and they were very similar to the OEM belts on the 73 Road Runner. So from a "style" perspective I give them an "A". The belts seem to be well made so from a quality perspective they seem decent too.

The only minor gripe I have is that the belts lock easily, so sometimes when you put the belt on you have to pull it slowly or it locks. I have this gripe with many other belts in cars; my Mustang is terrible that way. I think this is just a conservative safety feature to ensure that the belts keeps you in place in an accident, but it can still be annoying. While I do not have any hard evidence about this, I think the angle (or lack thereof) between the retractor and roof mount is critical. I think it needs to be a straight line and if not, it has more of a tendency to lock. Again, this is just a hunch, not gospel.

Hope this helps...

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back