• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318, 360, or 440?

which engine should I go with for now

• Total voters
For "b-star69":
Soooo funny how people these days view the B-Body as a "BIG" car...and by todays standards I guess they are. Fact is that in their day they were considered somewhere in the middle of the mid-sized range.
For "nosser":
All B-Bodies...especially if in good (#3) or better condition have "value". Of course a fully loaded 426 Hemi GTX in #1 condition would have far, far more value than a 225 slant-six 4-door Belvedere in the same condition. But that doesn't mean the Belvedere deserves to be tossed to the crusher or cut up into something it was never meant to be. BTW...I've owned my 69' Roadrunner since 1974. Yeah, it needs work (again!), but there's been many a time I've wished I'd owned a fully loaded small block 69' Sport Satellite convertible instead!

For "nosser":
All B-Bodies...especially if in good (#3) or better condition have "value". Of course a fully loaded 426 Hemi GTX in #1 condition would have far, far more value than a 225 slant-six 4-door Belvedere in the same condition. But that doesn't mean the Belvedere deserves to be tossed to the crusher or cut up into something it was never meant to be. BTW...I've owned my 69' Roadrunner since 1974. Yeah, it needs work (again!), but there's been many a time I've wished I'd owned a fully loaded small block 69' Sport Satellite convertible instead!

So is there someplace I can go to find out what the value of my car would be? as far as condition it was pretty good, minor rust in the rear lower quarters and very little on the bottom of the doors. The interior was redone by the previous owner with either legendary or yearone seat covers door panels and headliner, no factory wheels on it, front disc conversion, and the 318 has minor bolt on stuff.. intake, carb, cam, headers and mallory dist, wires and box. 904 trans and 8 1/4 rear end. oh yah and it has working power windows.

im under the same predicament as of right now... Im opting to keep the 318 running meanwhile, I will work on getting something bigger under the hood, but i cant wait to do that cause i want to get my baby rolling already.
Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. But the truth is the truth, muscle = big block power.

Go the 440, I have a regular 69 satellite that was an original 318 car, as decoded by the VIN. I love it, tons of power and it goes. If you are worried about gas mileage then go with the small block. Just to let you know, the 440 becomes real tight in the engine bay when you want to put headers on it. But the hastle of putting them on, completely outweighs the negatives. Go 440 all the way!!

440s the way to go but if youre on a shoestring budget do the 318. All said and done it will probably run 4gs minimum to get the 440 4 speed in there.

Question for 'you' to answer:

Do you wish to drive it now or have it sit for some time...as in a year or two(three)?

Your 318 will keep you motoring.
The 360 is basically a straight bolt-in, with a little added power.
The 440 would likely require changing out: the 'K' frame; all mounts, throttle cable; exhaust; fuel pick-up in the tank and main fuel line; eng. wiring harness; possibly steering components for clearance...All take money to get and time to assemble. I also agree with daredevil, if your 440 has a scored cylinder wall, I don't see you getting it rebuilt for under $4K unless you work at a machine shop. I would plan for the total swap to top $6K. :eek: I know, right?

Anytime you change things (SB to BB, auto to 4 spd, manifolds to headers, 2bbl to 4bbl, etc.) many smaller, time consuming hurdles pop up. Each can be overcome...some with a simple parts swap, others requiring custom fabricating. :homework:

My example: Re-built my Poly 318 adding a 4bbl, dual exhaust, & headers.

Unforseens:
- finding a 90 deg. elbow for the pressure line of the power steering to clearance a header.
- fabbing an adapter for the throttle cable mount to match up to the 4bbl carb
- modifying the kickdown linkage.
- installing an oil filter relocator kit
- swapping to a mini-starter
- fabbing a second muffler bracket for the drivers' side
- modifying the tailpipe hangers to accomodate GTX exhaust tips
- relocating auto trans cooling lines
- rerouting starter cables

I'm not trying to discourage you. It can all be done. Driving the car, as is, for a while will allow you to enjoy it while you aquire all the 'little' needed parts...and inquire on this site as to what you may be missing for a specific mod/ swap. Nothing better than a second set of eyes that has already 'invented that wheel' looking at your parts list to tell you what you are forgetting and where it can be had. You will still be without your car once you start, but hopefully for less time.

I wouldn't tear into the car until I had a complete motor, trans, pedal(s) assy, and any suspension parts needed for a BB, all in hand...and enough cash to purchase a complete exhaust, all fluids, plugs/ wires, filters, etc.

Okay, I'm off my box now... :werd:

Question for 'you' to answer:

Do you wish to drive it now or have it sit for some time...as in a year or two(three)?

Yes I know alll about what needs to be done and you are correct exept for the k member. Maybe I didnt make my intentions clear enough, but what I was deciding on was if I was gonna spend money to get more power out of the 318, put in the 360 or just wait and put in the 440. there are alot of variables I was looking at. Like converting to 4spd with the small block to have a little more fun till I can build the 440 or just be happy with what I have and drive it till I can build the 440. For now it looks like im gonna just drive it with the 318 till the 440 is done and then do the swap, unless I find a small block bell housing for a good deal then I might go ahead and do the 4spd swap first... who knows.. its all about the fun and the build right? lol

Personally I'd go small block instead of a 440. Yeah the 440 would be a blast but they like to guzzle fuel. (for all of you about to say that if you want fuel mileage get a new hobby....:icon_fU:)

In my opinion a hot small block can be just as much fun as a 440 and if your budget looks like mine it will keep you driving your car as opposed to looking at it from the porch drinkin a beer dreaming about driving it. Oh and my actual vote is stroke the 318 and install the 4 speed.

I had similar decision to make last Aug. when i came upon this '66 Charger.

The bad news was the paint was shot but the whole car was equipped (sp) as it left the factory (found the build sheet under the back seat). I cleaned on it for months and had it painted.

The engine is it's original 361, two barrel with 104K miles. Drive line, and interior are also original to the car.

At first I was going to have it bored to 383 specs. with headers and duals.

The car runs great as is, with no leaks and burns no oil.

Long story short, I decided to drive it as is. And maybe go in another direction later on in the journey.

I guess it's what ever turns you on. Different strokes for different folks. Now that's an original thought!

I would agree with the comments that suggested that you run it, as is, for awhile and let your thoughts and desires gel.

Good luck,

Ragman

To be honest, I voted big block prior because you did not seem to have "stroker" options. If you would like an easier install, a (360)408 would be a VERY good "middle of the road" replacement and provide gobs of torque and plentiful horsepower for a street car; saving weight in your wallet and car at the same time.

Here is something that "I" would install:
455HP
http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/chrysler-408-bpc4083ct

375HP
http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/chrysler-408-bpc4082ct/636

I have had alot of cars roadrunners,satellites,ect.If your car is in good shape and runs it's cool and it's vaulable.I'm restoring a roadrunner now!let me tell you it's costley.You don't have to have a roadrunner or GTX to have an awesome Mopar.

Sir, You could not have said it better!

Don't waste your time and money on the smaller engines. Ultimately if you want the 440 go with the 440 because in the long run you'll probably be glad you did. To me nothing beats relieving stress than smokin wheels with alot of HP. And 440 has more HP than the other choices. I go 440.

I like 400's....bore that's larger than a 440 with the stroke of a 383. Best of both worlds! Depending on options, your car shouldn't be all that heavy and a short stroke motor can make it fly. I know that's not one of your options but that's my opinion :D Even with in a heavy 3/4 pickup with 3.54's and 29" tall tires, my old pickup with a low compression 400, 68 cast iron intake from a 383 magnum, Holley 600DP, RV cam and headers raised a few eyebrows with some stock Mustang 5.0 owners! It ran a 15.40 in the 1/4 with a soft launch to keep the tires from spinning. Not too shabby for a truck that was over 4000 lbs. For a comparison, my 92 Dakota 5.2 with 3.92 gears ran a 15.30 and it was a good 1000 lbs less. Car weight can really help a mild engine push it around really good too. Another comparison was my old 66 Belvedere with a 383, 750 Holley, 915 heads (compression around 10-1), mild cam, Offy 360 intake, stock stall from a 69 Roadrunner, headers, and 3.91 gears only ran a 14.80. The car was 3600....

I say keep that 318 in the car for now...it runs and drives as is! Dont dump any money into it as far as performance mods go and save that money for the 440. Build that 440 the way you want it and when time/money allows drop it in and really start roasting off those rear meats! I have owned them all from slant sixes to 440s and I can tell you there is nothing like firing up a mean big block and rowing through the gears on your own....but being on a budget is totally understandable! Ultimately the car is yours and what you do with it is up to you. If it moves under its own power as of now I say leave it as is and build it how you want when everything is right. Sell off that 360 and use the money for the 440! As stated earlier if you go with the small block you will eventually wish you had gone with the big block...just my opinion.

Since your original post said that cost was a factor, and you already have the 360, I'd use that one.

Of course the 440 would be more fun, so would a newer 5.7 hemi. But with what you already have, do the 360.

-=Photon440=-

im under the same predicament as of right now... Im opting to keep the 318 running meanwhile, I will work on getting something bigger under the hood, but i cant wait to do that cause i want to get my baby rolling already.
Good luck with whatever you decide to go with. But the truth is the truth, muscle = big block power.

I agree also and find myself in the same predicament. But I'm thinking to just go ahead and try to run 383 in mine when it comes and enjoy for a bit and then begin restoring the 383 and when thats done begin work on my 68 440 for more HP fun and throw that into my 70RR. I do plan on keeping the original motor though for future swaps and keeping it factory original. My 70RR has a 727 HD automatic with the console I think slap stick shift. and 3:23 Ratio SG rearend.

Since your original post said that cost was a factor, and you already have the 360, I'd use that one.

Of course the 440 would be more fun, so would a newer 5.7 hemi. But with what you already have, do the 360.

-=Photon440=-

5.7 hemi would of course be my true vote...its what I am doing. But if you can't afford to build a carb'd motor don't think you can drop one of these in cheap.

Since you don't have much in the way of funding right now, I would stick with the 318 that works. Then spend the money later on building what you want.

Auto Transport Service
Back