• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318, 360, or 440?

which engine should I go with for now

• Total voters

nosser

Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
OK... So im rebuilding a 69 sport satellite that currently has a 318 in it now, I also have a 360 and a 440. The 318 runs now, the 360 was running when it was pulled out and the 440 needs to be totally rebuilt, 1 cylinder has some scoring on it. Side note to this all. The transmission in it now is the 904, Ultimatly I want to convert to 4 spd and I have everything needed to do so on the 440 but im missing a bell housing for the small block.

SO...... my question to you all is this... I dont have alot of money to spend at this moment, I will be only driving the car on weekends and maybe after stressful days where I need to "release" some aggression on the pavement.

I'd probably go 440 if you're going to do the 4 speed swap, since you've already got the parts.

You asked. If your going to keep the car and your low on funds, then rebuild the 318 to stock and call it a day.
While you work and save money, then you can go for your upgrade.

Drive it with the running 318 for now while you save the cash to build the 440/4 speed combination. In the end it will be the most rewarding and you will only have to make one engine swap in the future.

you'll release a lot more stress with the 440 under the hood .:hello2:....the 318 will only add to the stress :angryfire: and the 360 :eek:ops:will make you wish you did 440 ...slow down get the finance in order and do the 440 :headbang: ...if acceleration is your release ( as mine is ) 440 it .. if just driving an old cruiser is enough than 318 it ... think it through first ...we have all been there .. gets expensive without forethought

Awesome.... seems like everyone has the same opinion, Ill continue my slow build on the 440 and just convert it all at once. Thank you all.. ill post pics when the body and paint is done!

440 is the BEST OPTION by far. Like everyone above has stated, if you don't do it now.. You'll wish you would have in the future. Good luck on the transformation, keep us informed!

Yep, 440 best option, later on you'll be glad you did... It doesn't mean you couldn't do very well in the HP part of all this with a SB build, but a 440 adds to the cars worth, makes you happy and REALLY ticks off neighbors! ;)

The bigger the better. 440 !! Ron

There is no replacement for displacement!!!!! Big Block all the way.

Yep, 440 best option, later on you'll be glad you did... It doesn't mean you couldn't do very well in the HP part of all this with a SB build, but a 440 adds to the cars worth, makes you happy and REALLY ticks off neighbors! ;)

X2, plus, it just feels good.

X3 I drove my Charger for several years with a warmed up 318 before I got the 440.

Everybody has an opinion of course. If I were just going to drive my old car to relax and ease some stress, I'd stick with the proven 318. Great gas mileage burning 87 octane, fantastic reliability. Want some extra tire burning power? Just swap in a 4.10. Long cruise; swap back. Again, just my 2cents worth.

If your Sport Satellite is in relatively good condition, a numbers-matching car, etc., stay with the 318. Your SS will have more value. If on the other hand this car over the last 40+ years has had more body work than Joan Rivers...you ain't hurtin' nothing by going with the 440.

If your Sport Satellite is in relatively good condition, a numbers-matching car, etc., stay with the 318. Your SS will have more value. If on the other hand this car over the last 40+ years has had more body work than Joan Rivers...you ain't hurtin' nothing by going with the 440.

This is interesting.... does the sport satellite hold value? I thought of it as "just" a satellite. It isnt a RR or GTX.

I have had alot of cars roadrunners,satellites,ect.If your car is in good shape and runs it's cool and it's vaulable.I'm restoring a roadrunner now!let me tell you it's costley.You don't have to have a roadrunner or GTX to have an awesome Mopar.

Auto Transport Service
Back