• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 cylinder head removal

Braden

Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. First of all thanks for all the help you guys have already given me. My engine runs because of it lol. So it was running. I lost compression on my entire left bank after it sat for a few months. Figured I'd check head gaskets. So I've got the valve cover off. Pushrods out. Intake manifold is loose. I think I have the head bolts out. I removed 6 bolts from the top and 4 from the bottom. It's still stuck on there. Crawled under the car but couldn't tell if I missed a bottom bolt in the middle. Anyone know how many bolts the cylinder head has on the bottom to the block?! Thanks again everyone!

Attachments

• smallv8_tq.jpg
    smallv8_tq.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,428
You sir have now been thanked 292 times. Back to work for me. Have a great day and thank you!

So either I'm missing something or this rust is hardcore! I have the 5 lower cylinder head bolts out and the 6 upper bolts out. The intake manifold is on the garage floor. The exhaust is off the head but for the life of me can't bust the dern head off! Crowbar. 2x4 and rubber mallet. Breaker bar in the intake hit with a rubber mallet then a bfh. Nothing. Ideas? 12 gauge shotgun? Lol

Here is what I have done with a sticky heads in the past: Put a couple of head bolts back in (one on each end of the block) but you don't want to tighten them up or cinch them down. A couple of twists in the threads will typically be enough but make sure you have them firmly into the threads. I typically leave about 1/8 space between the head bolt and the head. Make sure you have your spark plugs in place. No wires. No rocker arms either as you don't want the valves to open. Then crank the engine. Typically there is enough compression to 'pop' the head loose. The bolts keep it from popping up too much and falling off the block damaging sh*t as it does so.

Ok that worked. Thanks for that idea! What I'm trying to solve now is getting to the head bolt behind the exhaust on the passenger side. Seems tight and I'm not sure how to get that middle bolt behind the exhaust. Might have to remove the exhaust I guess?

Yes. Removing the exhaust manifolds is the 1st thing that should be done for any number of reasons. Getting to all the head bolts being one of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back