• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Intake & Carb Advice

VANDAN

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:12 PM
Reaction score
I've been doing some Xmas shopping for my Projects the past few days, trying to pick up some discount deals. I wanted to up the input on my '75 Tradesman B200. Original 318, on which I currently have a Holley 500 2bbl, stock intake, and headers. It's always ran good, but seemed like it could use a bit more going in for some better pick up. I was looking at Summit's offerings, and they have an Edelbrock Performance RPM Air-Gap, 7576, and a Holley Street Warrior 600cfm, 0-1850S. I was looking at Quick Fuel carbs also, but didn't actually pick one out. Any thoughts, or recommendations on this as to Brands, sizing, advice would be appreciated. Truck was a 3spd column manual, currently 727 auto, and 3:23 Dana, 11-15's on Rear, so it won't spin those on pavement !!!

100_0732.jpg
IMG_3504.jpg

Air gap has no heat crossover, not going to work on an original small engine in a heavy vehicle. Needs a dual plane intake. And the tall tires and 3.23 gears is a problem for get up and go.

dual plane intake,and some aftermarket intakes will not have the bolt holes for the coil or ac. Why not put a 360 intake on it?

dual plane intake,and some aftermarket intakes will not have the bolt holes for the coil or ac. Why not put a 360 intake on it?
Thanks davek, I didn't notice lack of coil mounts, No A/C. I'll look into 360 apps...

I was thinking back, didn't someone make an Intake for SB RV or Trailering application's ? Like 80'-90's ?

I ran those gears on a 85 Dodge pickup with a 318. Really woke it up with a 340 Dual- plane with 600 cfm Holley and an up- graded cam. I used a Crane cam , I believe advertised duration was 260/262.

Leave the Holley [ & clones ] on the shelf at Summit.....

You definitely do NOT want a RPM intake on a vehicle such as a van & 3.23 axle.
A Perf intake or similar with an Edel 600 AFB or AVS2 carb will give the best bang for the buck!

Thanks davek, I didn't notice lack of coil mounts, No A/C. I'll look into 360 apps...
I have been looking myself for the charger. Found a 340 intake but he left it outside and it was bad. Good luck on the hunt.

Below is a test between a 600 Holley & 625 Carter AFB [ EDel would be the same ]. AFB made more hp, more tq & used less fuel doing it....

img248.jpg

Plain ole performer intake and 600cfm carb of your liking would do.

You can spend $1000 for a new intake & carb. or... search classifieds for a good OE 4-v iron intake w/ TQ for far less $$$. ( I like that Shaggin' Wagon, btw).

I would be surprised if any of this helps without a cam change.

I would be surprised if any of this helps without a cam change.
Mm, you may be right, but not gonna mess with any internals at this time. It runs to good, and reliable, still pushing about 60 on oil pressure when starting, and would get in it, and drive Coast to Coast, with No worries...

Auto Transport Service
Back