• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cam Recommendations

Eggo

Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I currently run a 318 in my '73 Satellite that's stock apart from an AVS2 carb. I have just bought a 360 and need to get some parts for it and want it to be a bit more high performance than the 318 and have a bit more 'go'. I don't race it often but for context the quickest it's done the 1/4 mile is 19.06 seconds (unbeatable as slowest car on the strip except for when people breakdown lol). It gets up to speed nicely when I'm on the motorway and faster A roads but it takes a while to get there. It's my daily so not looking to build it proper race spec just want it to be a bit more enthusiastic.

I have always wanted to put a thumpr cam in as want a lumpy idle but have been reading lots saying to not get a thumpr cam. I know all the engine bits I get need to be right for each other so was hoping to pick a cam and then go from there so just looking for cam recommendations from people who have fitted lumpy cams and love them! :)

I assume that the 360 engine you purchased is from the 'smog' era (mid 1970's to late 1980's) therefore the compression will not be the greatest for a lumpy cam.
The cams used in the early 340 engines would be a good choice - it will wake up that 360.
If you want a lumpier cam than that then the compression will need to be increased as well as getting a better torque converter or better rear end gears.

Otherwise, putting in a lumpy cam with no other mods, the car will fall on it's face on takeoff but will wake up and go at the 3000 rpm & up mark.
But with everyday driving around it will be sluggish with a stock torque converter and highway gears.

Me thinks the factory 340 cam would work very well for you. Otherwise something around 260-268 advertised duration & about .430-.450 lift. Good luck.

A better rear gear ratio will make more difference than anything else you can do to this combination.
Mike

At this point in your journey I only have a couple of small tidbits to offer…..
The first is, be careful of what you wish for, re: lumpity cams.
In a DD they can be less than ideal to live with.

The second is, if you don’t already know, determine what the car has for rear gears.

For some general info, for something I had to live with day to day, the biggest cam I’d run in a low CR 360 would be a Comp 268H.
And I’d want at least 2.94 gears to pair with it.
That cam will have barely noticeable idle.

If headers aren’t part of the plan, and especially if the gears are 2.94 or taller, a little smaller cam is probably a smarter choice.

Since your stock Mopar cam was made to perform best with .903 lifters I would find a cam made for that lifter.

Unless you specify that you are buying a cam made to a Chevy spec lifter. 90% of all shelf cams are Chevy lifter grinds.

Yes it matters. That .903 lifter gives near roller cam performance.

The Crapper cams were designed with tight LSA & a lot of exh duration to have a cackly exh note.

To impress the gals at the drive-in......

They are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from ideal for the street. Cams are power shifters; big-ger cams shift power from the low end....to the top end. No free lunches.

The biggest cam I would use & have some semblance of true drivability is the Isky 270 Mega

Just my thoughts, to get your car under that 19 number and get some more get up and go. No matter if you use the 318 or 360. Compression test and see what engine is in better shape.
I would make sure that edelbrock carb is on a edelbrock dual plane intake and is tuned right and good flowing air filter.
Go over your ignition advance / distributor curve that will wake any engine up, lighter advance spring or springs.
Check the diameter of your rear tires,
Dropping say from a 28" to a 26" will drop the rear gear some without going inside the diff.
Add a set of headers and a free flowing exhaust system.
Make sure to keep the car as light as you can, 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fuel , empty the trunk, ect.
Work with some easy low buck stuff, it all needs done anyway.
See what you can get that way. Then if needed consider gear change 1st then last the cam to match your cars set up.
In today's world of crap flat tappet cams and lifters I would think twice about removing a good one and heading down the cam break in trail.
You can get better time slips without a lumpy sound.

Last edited:
A good torque converter will be your biggest bang for the buck even better than gears. Do u have headers and good dual exhaust? 360 has a different balance than the 318. So u can get the B&M Flex plate for the 360.

Please elaborate. What 360 ? What are the details on this engine ? What else besides a cam do you expect to do ?

Thank you for all your advice! Sorry probably should've said in the post that the engine needs a rebuild, it needs:
- gaskets
- timing cover (unless I can use this off my 318 which i think I can)
- lifters & rods
- cam
- timing chain
- piston, rings & rods
- valves
- bearings
- rocker arms

And then will use some bits off my 318 like fuel & water pumps, dizzy, AVS 2 carb

Just my thoughts, to get your car under that 19 number and get some more get up and go. No matter if you use the 318 or 360. Compression test and see what engine is in better shape.
I would make sure that edelbrock carb is on a edelbrock dual plane intake and is tuned right and good flowing air filter.
Go over your ignition advance / distributor curve that will wake any engine up, lighter advance spring or springs.
Check the diameter of your rear tires,
Dropping say from a 28" to a 26" will drop the rear gear some without going inside the diff.
Add a set of headers and a free flowing exhaust system.
Make sure to keep the car as light as you can, 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fuel , empty the trunk, ect.
Work with some easy low buck stuff, it all needs done anyway.
See what you can get that way. Then if needed consider gear change 1st then last the cam to match your cars set up.
In today's world of crap flat tappet cams and lifters I would think twice about removing a good one and heading down the cam break in trail.
You can get better time slips without a lumpy sound.
I normally run it at the mopar nats over here at santa pod, since that year where i got the 19s I've put a new carb on and timed and tuned it and it definitely is running loads better, just still quite slow on acceleration. Will be taking it down the strip there again next month so be interesting to see how well it does but still want to build this engine and put it in. It's hard because want to go faster but love the lumpy sound so much lol

Auto Transport Service
Back