• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Poly throttle cable

Cletus

Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
Mine snapped at the pedal... need a new throttle cable. Would a cable fitting the LA 318 work in a Poly?

If it snapped right at the mounting point, can it be drilled and reattached? Maybe using a cable swedge from a hardware store? I'm just spit balling.

Here's thinking outside of the box for you..... I had a similar problem with a no-can-find '70 six pack throttle cable. If I understand you correctly, the little end piece that hooks into the back of the gas pedal broke off, right? You can actually buy "cable crimp clamps" at good hardware stores & piece together a repair as long as there is still enough "throw" in the cable. You might also try to spot-weld that little end back on.

Looks like me and the fist responder were thinking the same thing at the same time.

Here's another idea....there are several throttle cables on e-bay all the time + I'm sure companies on this board sell throttle cables too. As long as the ends will attach & the length is "close" any cable will work. If it's too short... problem & if it's way too long it can kink... problem, but besides that, if the ends match up, you're good. You also have to watch the "total throw" if it's an oddball (ton of bare exposed cable on the carb side, like the six packs)

Had the same problem with my '66. NOBODY makes a replacement. Went to my local M/C shop and bought a generic brake/clutch cable and fittings, used my old "outer" and simply cut the new inner to length with the brass fittings soldered on. Works great! IMG_4358.jpgIMG_4359.jpgIMG_4360.jpgIMG_4361.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg IMG_4359.jpg IMG_4360.jpg IMG_4361.jpg

try looking at Pioneer accelerator cables. Autozone , Rock auto Summit racing carries these. The part# for a 73 challenger is CA8410. Good luck with your search

Your sest bet is to contact Mancini as they make the cables in several lengths. My 1962 Plymouth 318 poly cable is 20" long (carb pivot to pedal attachment) and has a clevis on both ends. Mine was about an inch short after going with a 4 barrel setup. I made my own, longer clevis and it fits perfect

Now, I was searching recently and found that go kart shops sell throttle cables that have a ball end, 1/16" cable. And they make replacement balls ( insert ball on cable, flare cable into ball recess, flux and dip in solder or lead to seal. Would be much cheaper than the $90 Mancini wants.

What you may also do is get a threaded clevis that tightens to the cable with a set screw and usethe ball end on the pedal end.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Rigged the cable so it works for now, at least until I pull the engine... when I drop it back again, I guess it's Lokar or Bouchillon time.

Auto Transport Service
Back