• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 vs 360 vs 440

No, that’s not what I’m saying. I have no idea what “ built on a budget” means to you.

im saying that not doing much with a 360 will be over $5,000, and doing the same with a 440 will be more because of all the other changes needed to make it work in a car set up for a small block

Okay, I understand now. Thanks for clearing things up for me. Unfortunately, I do not have an accurate budget right now. I do agree, any engine combo can get expensive. Thanks for your comments!

You don't need to go stroker!
You can get good power out of a small block ! Big blocks make the car noise heavy . I always go small block .
That is true, small blocks can deliver nice power. I did not know that there was a difference in car noise between small and big blocks. Thanks for the comment!

That is true, small blocks can deliver nice power. I did not know that there was a difference in car noise between small and big blocks. Thanks for the comment!
He meant to type nose heavy, not noise heavy. No difference in sound between the 2.

Used Magnums are cheap if you look. The factory heads tend to crack in between the seats. But they seldom leak and flow decent. The factory hyd roller can be reground to a decent street profile. The factory lifters will still work. but you will probably need longer pushrods. You will need a car oil pan and pickup. You will need the weight kit for the converter. A performer RPM will be the intake you'll want. A gasket kit , new timing chain, and possibly bearings. The factory accessories, kick down , mounts and brackets can all be fabbed to work. So with some ingenuity you can get by pretty cheap. A LA 360 is another option. But only the very late motors are roller cam. More difficult to find in the junk yard.
Doug

Used Magnums are cheap if you look. The factory heads tend to crack in between the seats. But they seldom leak and flow decent. The factory hyd roller can be reground to a decent street profile. The factory lifters will still work. but you will probably need longer pushrods. You will need a car oil pan and pickup. You will need the weight kit for the converter. A performer RPM will be the intake you'll want. A gasket kit , new timing chain, and possibly bearings. The factory accessories, kick down , mounts and brackets can all be fabbed to work. So with some ingenuity you can get by pretty cheap. A LA 360 is another option. But only the very late motors are roller cam. More difficult to find in the junk yard.
Doug

Thanks for comment Doug once again. Great stuff. I actually ended up getting a 440 a couple days ago. I would like to build a magnum small block for another car down the line possibly. Using your tips of course!

Auto Transport Service
Back