• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

340 performance build - flat tappet cam

Ralph Cali

Local time
1:50 AM
Reaction score
Need some advice

Talking to a good engine builder for a performance build on a 73 stock 340. He states about 340 horsepower in total and driveable with good vacuum for ps,pb and ac 15-16 hg

He will blueprint and balance etc and give me 9.5 to 1 compression with stock heads - want it to look stock since its a show quality car. This is the second engine he will build for me so I know his work - he will also dyno and break it in. I am happy with the first engine he did for me but it was for a different type of car / stroker / big block / alum heads etc

The question I have is on cams - he recommends a hydraulic flat tappet cam and I here about some problems with wear on the cam and lifters. This will be my wife's car so I do not want to fuss with it.

Talking with him he did not recommend a roller cam - expense and states no HP gains. Are there any other alternates ?
Were all these cams back in the day flat tappet.

Any advise would be helpful

Ralph

No performance gains from a roller cam. I guess that means millions of people have wasted the HELL outta some money. Nothing wrong with flat tappet cams. As long as you run an oil with high zinc content, you'll be fine.

The real killer with flat tappet cams is the oil as mentioned and the valve spring pressure. With a mild cam that only requires about 90-100 lbs on the seat you will have good life IF you run the good oil. It's the wild race profile flat tappet cams that tend to die young even with good oil because of the 140 lb seat pressures, etc.. They are just not street cams.

Yep, all flat tappet back in the day.

Perhaps a roller of a mild profile won't offer MUCH in performance gains vs. a good flat tappet, and when you factor in the expense, I'd tend to agree with your engine builder. The roller was really created out of necessity because a flat tappet can't handle the ramp rates. These days with factory warranties running in the 100K mile range, a roller is for longevity.

thanks that helps

The good oil being royal purple HPS, comp cams oil with Zinc & z alt muscle car oil

Ralph

Auto Transport Service
Back