• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket aluminum heads and solid flat tappet cam/lifters

peabodyracin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
I'll apologize in advance for what's probably a dumb question. I started assessing a refresh on my current 906 heads. Costs quickly got to the point I was thinking I should look at aftermarket aluminum heads. I'd need springs that accommodate .520 lift. That seems not to be a problem. The fact that I've a solid flat tappet cam seems a problem. I don't find any catalog offerings for this. The closest I find is for hydraulic flat tappet. Is there some reason you can't run a solid lifter cam with aluminum heads, or is the demand so low the manufacturers just don't mess with it?

This is a car that I just take to a few nostalgia events during the season. (the car is in the photo you see to the left here above my forum name) Don't wish to bear the cost to replace the entire valvetrain. That figure puts me back at doing the 906's. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Which aluminum heads in particular are you looking at.

Which aluminum heads in particular are you looking at.
I've not settled on anything yet. It appears every offering I've looked at is the same way. Most recent was Edelbrock for example.

I've not settled on anything yet. It appears every offering I've looked at is the same way. Most recent was Edelbrock for example.
I can only surmise that you are looking for heads that come with the exact springs tailored for your requirements.
Yes you might have to buy springs. Unless you can retrofit your current springs.

The head doesn't care. The valve spring might. The standard springs that come with some of the aftermarket heads might be good enough. You just need to check the cam manufacturer's spring recommendation verses the valve spring spec on the head. Worst case, buy new springs.

The head doesn't care. The valve spring might. The standard springs that come with some of the aftermarket heads might be good enough. You just need to check the cam manufacturer's spring recommendation verses the valve spring spec on the head. Worst case, buy new springs.
I'm probably overthinking it. I sure understood their standard springs might not be adequate. It was just the fact that none listed the solid option 'pre-configured' got me wondering if there was something unique going on. For example a solid lifter would for some reason pound the seats out of an aluminum head.

I have a .590 solid, but I put a .557 purple shaft solid in my current motor, because I could use the springs that come stock on my rpm heads.
If you go with a lower cost chinese head, you will probably need to change springs.
Your current rockers can probably be used, you might have to get some custom length pushrods.
A .520 solid is not really that big that springs should be a problem. And like said above, the head doesn't care.
(Imo, putting much money into a set of unported 906s is just crazy).

If, for example, you buy a set of Stealth heads, you will need to get proper springs to match your cam requirements. Hughes has a huge selection of flat tappet cams and springs. No issue running flat tappets with aluminum heads. I'm currently running a Hughes 3842 STL with Stealth heads, with proper springs snd 10° keepers.

I use the RPM heads on my 493 with a solid lifter Hughes cam and valve train. Works great!
Mike

I'd be leary of stealths and e-streets due to valve quality. In a racing situation. Valve heads breaking off isn't unheard of.

I'm pretty sure that the springs that came on my Eddy heads (15 years ago) would have worked with most street type SFT camshafts.

Just call the company and ask what spring they are using on their heads.

I use a .510 lift solid cam with rpm heads. I use a spring a little lighter than what came with the heads. I think the single spring that comes on a rpm head would be good enough for your cam.

Don’t think the heads will notice the difference. Springs need to jive with your cam specs. Tip when assembling, I like to start with the cold lash .006 tighter than listed hot lash. Works for me.

Just make sure you have a steel seat shim (I prefer the cups) under the spring to keep them from eating the aluminum.

Great input. Thanks very much everyone! I'm dangerous now!

be carfull and get good stuff spend the money.... post covid stuff seems to be of a lame quality. in the valve train alot...

Auto Transport Service
Back