• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

360 .030 question

Local time
4:05 PM
Reaction score
Good evening. Just wanted to see if anyone had a similar setup (or close to) and had an opinion one way or the other.

I got all the parts ordered but my Dad had the fun of assembling the short block (I'm in the Air Force...wasn't home for the build...and of course he didn't wait...ha,ha). He's an old Mopar guy (67 R/T, 68 Super Bee, etc...)

360 .030 over, Eagle SIR I-Beam Connecting Rods 6123CB (floating pin), 8KH116CP30 Speed Pro Hypereutectic (2 valve reliefs), 284/484 Mopar Performance cam/lifters, Edelbrock AirGap intake, FEL-KS2109 Fel-Pro gasket set (8553PT is the head gasket in the set).

I was thinking of ordering Indy's Aerohead (refurbed heads for roughly $500) but I had set aside some money and will order Indy LA-X closed chamber heads and upgrade to 2.02 intake valve (1.625 exhaust). Advertised combustion chamber volume according to their website is 62cc.

Stock deck height so based on the measurements the pistons are sitting .017 in the hole. Based on online calculators it seems like a 10'ish to 1 squeeze. I know it depends on the gasket volume, valve relief volume on the pistons, etc..

Main concern is valve clearance. I think everything should work great but I'm not an expert on valve clearances....

Thanks!!

I have run 2 - .030-360 with KB-107's @ zero deck and -.010 with the MP 292/.509 & a Comp solid cam w/.525 lift. Actual lift was .510. Both engines used a .039 head gasket. There is plenty of room for a larger valve lifting cam BUT do check valve to piston clearance! While checking mine on the solid cam, I discovered I installed the crank socket wrongly, 4*'s moved the valve to close. Way to close. It didn't hit, but you couldn't out a loose leaf paper I between them.

My current build is with your pistons. There is a slight height difference between the pistons, the C116HP being shorter IIRC. But how much I do not remember. Something that doesn't matter at a modified deck height giving a zero deck clearance.

Auto Transport Service
Back