• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 6bbl

Bought it brand new is meaningless. He may have bought it brand new just not that way. If you found the right machine shop anything was possible.
Point being, memories fade, facts get blurred, folks just want to talk.

No. I can guarantee you to CYA of the dealer, the car was sold with a warranty. Only after the sale was the warranty voided.

Smart dealers would NEVER sell a car without legal cover and to protect against a custom job gone wrong.
Correct.....he purchased the car and got a part installed after the fact voiding the warranty....That is what some os us are referring to.....

My 69 charger RT 36k documented miles. Traced back to the original owner whom is still alive. I spoke to him many times and have a signed letter from him....Trust me his memory didn't fade and was spot on...Ordered and purchased the car and paid in cash. Once the car made it to the dealer he told them to install a set of 3.91's.....Voiding the warranty because as you know 3.91's came with power drum or disc......the charger came with manual drum. He stated I could care less of any warranty because the usage of the car was sometimes weekend at the track and cruising....Thankfully, he babied it on the track.....

So many things happened at the dealer post purchase....

He can swear all he wants and that answer is one big fat NO.......He could have purchased the car and the dealer took the DC setup and installed it.....Which means he has an original 383 4 barbell with the possibility of a dealer installed 6 pack.....Which means ZERO to value/correctness.......It is just part of the history of the car...
Thanks Justin, what your saying makes more sense that it could have been dealer installed. All I was saying is he bought it new that way, not bought it and had it installed, he would have remembered that,,,,,,,, what where we talking about?? Lol! I did say to the fella they never offered that from the factory but the only thing that kept coming to mind was “silver bullet” and maybe some crazy factory shenanigans. I will mention this all to him and see if he has any more info from his dad.

Also for all the negative comments, please keep them to yourself and not start a Facebook type slamfest. My friend in mention is NOT the bullshit type! I’m only trying to get some info as to why or how this could have happened this looking for some insight from someone just a little older than me. Thanks for your understanding

Also for all the negative comments, please keep them to yourself

Ummmmmmmm....NO. You posted this in a general discussion area and I replied accordingly. Sorry, your friend may not be a bullshitter, but that RR did not come from Ma Mopar with a 383 6 pak.

Thanks Justin, what your saying makes more sense that it could have been dealer installed. All I was saying is he bought it new that way, not bought it and had it installed, he would have remembered that,,,,,,,, what where we talking about?? Lol! I did say to the fella they never offered that from the factory but the only thing that kept coming to mind was “silver bullet” and maybe some crazy factory shenanigans. I will mention this all to him and see if he has any more info from his dad.
The proof is in the build sheet, fender tag and window sticker.......Anything beyond that is not original to the car......Or have the guy whip out a window sticker or build sheet with that.....A dealer would not install a part on a car to void the warranty and then sold as new. Mr Norms builds had rights from Chrysler for his upgrades......None of them were a 383 six pack....

You can't compare the "silver bullit" in the mix.....

Iron, I never said it came from the factory that way, I KNOW that it didn’t. All I said is he stated he bought it new that way.

Thanks Justin, I should have said earlier that he don’t own this car anymore so any verification or inspection is out of the question. Just brain teasing discussion I guess but man the feathers get ruffed easily:mob:

Iron, I never said it came from the factory that way, I KNOW that it didn’t. All I said is he stated he bought it new that way.
They only came "new" from the factory. They came "modified" from certain dealers, and like Justin said, no dealer is going to install that and void the warranty. They would just install the 440 6 pak. Sorry my friend, I still call BS.

The thing is the factory paperwork will not have that listed......There would be dealer paperwork stating a non factory part was installed at this cost and the vehicle is bought as is and no warranty.......To this day I have never seen supportive paperwork other than a story......

The other question to ask him is.....What month and year he bought the car new?.......Very easy to rule this out because that can be compared to the date the direct connection 6 pack was available.....

Keep in mind when the A12's cars were released.......I bet the 383 six pack came later in 1970 but I dont know the release date....

They only came "new" from the factory. They came "modified" from certain dealers, and like Justin said, no dealer is going to install that and void the warranty. They would just install the 440 6 pak. Sorry my friend, I still call
The thing is the factory paperwork will not have that listed......There would be dealer paperwork stating a non factory part was installed at this cost and the vehicle is bought as is and no warranty.......To this day I have never seen supportive paperwork other than a story......

The other question to ask him is.....What month and year he bought the car new?.......Very easy to rule this out because that can be compared to the date the direct connection 6 pack was available.....

Keep in mind when the A12's cars were released.......I bet the 383 six pack came later in 1970 but I dont know the release date....
hey that’s a good thought! Maybe he could have bought it in 70 as a leftover and it may have gave mods done to it then?

Thanks Justin, I should have said earlier that he don’t own this car anymore so any verification or inspection is out of the question. Just brain teasing discussion I guess but man the feathers get ruffed easily:mob:
I knew what you were trying to rule out......I have ran into a few of these situation....In other words dont shoot the messenger, lol...

Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean that. I am a Jersey boy, I am blunt and sometimes come across harsh.
What an ASSHOLE!! Just kidding man, all is good! Believe me knowing what I know ( which isn’t much) I would be saying the same thing. All kinds of crazy things happened in the 60’s and 70’s so I didn’t want to rule anything out

hey that’s a good thought! Maybe he could have bought it in 70 as a leftover and it may have gave mods done to it then?
Hard to answer....all speculative.......

Or he says he bought the car prior to mid year......and you know that answer...

I don't have any figures on release dates, but I'd be surprised if Edelbrock didn't offer a 383 six-bbl manifold at the same time as the 440 version, since there were more than four times as many 383 engines out there.

Auto Transport Service
Back