• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 6bbl

A guy was telling me about his 69 Superbee SE with the 440 Hemi when i was getting gas last year with a Charger on the trailer. I just smiled and said it sounded like a pretty cool car. I think there was drugs involved in his memory....:realcrazy:

looking for some expert info. This goes against everything I’ve read and learned about road runners in particular so I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing so here it goes. A buddy of mine ( not the B.S type) states his dad bought a 69 runner brand new and stated it came with 383, with a 440 track pack. Wait,,,,,,WHAT????!! I ask him what that was and he said according to his dad it was a 383 with 440 heads and 6bbl setup. And swears ( his dad) bought it brand new that way! I couldn’t even imagine that edelbrock would have even made an intake for the 383 that soon, right? What you gurus think about all this?
While your friend may truly believe this and maybe even his dad because he possibly doesn’t know better, the 440 intake will not fit into an283 and the 383 intake will not fit the 440 unless spacers were used.

Further more, the heads are the same on ether engine , so, swapping heads is a moot point. Except to maybe over charge the customer????

I am a Jersey boy, I am blunt and sometimes come across harsh.
Man o man I get that **** often being a New Yorker. Instantly assumed I’m being rude and gruff and labeled harshly instantly.

“He’s a Yankee, ****’em!’

Stage 5 was actually converting 440 blocks into Hemi blocks before Mopar Performance reissued Hemi blocks. Mopar Performance also was prepairing to issue a six pack intake for second generation Hemi engines too,so Hemi Sixpack engines were also possible. To confuse things even further,Hot Heads offers Hemi Heads for Mopar small block engines,making a 273/318/340/360 Hemi engines possible too.

Stage 5 was actually converting 440 blocks into Hemi blocks before Mopar Performance reissued Hemi blocks. Mopar Performance also was prepairing to issue a six pack intake for second generation Hemi engines too,so Hemi Sixpack engines were also possible. To confuse things even further,Hot Heads offers Hemi Heads for Mopar small block engines,making a 273/318/340/360 Hemi engines possible too.

I don't think the blocks were converted, rather, weren't the heads cast to fit the RB head bolt pattern?

I used to run around for a short time back in the late 70's with a guy that swore he used to own a Road Runner that came from the factory with a 440 that had three 4 BARREL carbs on it! Never could convince him that was not an option.....

Stage 5 added bosses to the valley area on each side to accept the head studs that bolt the upper part of the Hemi Cylinder heads to.

This is a picture of my Hemi engine, showing the bosses that 440 blocks don't have.
20181204_212142.jpg

Plenty of nit picking going on in this thread so I felt obligated to insert a bit more. I grew up when these cars were new on the lots and I know that Mopar did lots of stuff that were off the beaten path like (Silver Bullet) previously mentioned here and a 4 door Max Wedge also comes to mind. I learned a long time ago that never probably don't fit in the Mopar world. I do remember though that no Road Runners or any 340, 383 or 440 Plymouth's for that matter (that I've seen) came from the factory with a Six Pac. Dodge and Plymouth share a lot but not the Six Pac term. Plymouth used the Barrel or BBL terminology on their cars. No Tri Power, no three deuces, and no 3 two's like the Bozo cars used. However, I too don't remember seeing any factory 383 cars with the Six Pac or Six BBL hood call out.

Well now that I opened a BIG can-o-worms,,, I talked to my buddy last week and questioned him again on the elusive 383 6bbl, and like I believe it was stated earlier, his dad was scrambling his info, who knew! After AAAAALLLL that talk, he had a 69 runner with a 383. :nutkick:

Well now that I opened a BIG can-o-worms,,, I talked to my buddy last week and questioned him again on the elusive 383 6bbl, and like I believe it was stated earlier, his dad was scrambling his info, who knew! After AAAAALLLL that talk, he had a 69 runner with a 383. :nutkick:
Sorry guys, I guess I was looking at what-ifs.

yep, Edelbrock made them in 2 different styles STR-15
& Reg. factory looking scaled down 'sort of' versions of the (RB)
to fit the B-series low-deck block, use all the same stuff
solenoid, carbs, linkages, choke stove & rod, fresh air air-cleaner etc.
just the manifold was cast for a Low-deck 361-383-400 block

I had one
(on a 68 RR 383 cid Low-deck with an Edelbrock 6bbl alum. intake,
3 x 2300 series, center/needle & seat,
a 500cfm center carb with choke & vent
& 2 350cfm outboard vacuum carbs)
in like 1975-76 (?) & it was an older manifold,
I bought second hand, from a guy up the street from me...
I'm not sure what date they started making them...

Direct Connection later, made a version for the low-decks BB too
than when this was all "allegedly' happening

MoPar Performance also makes a nice one, that's much, much later
(where I got my last couple)

Weiand also did at one time, more of a tunnel-ram version
started in like 1972-ish

I don't think Edelbrock makes them anymore,
or at least they didn't for a while, not for the Low deck BB's anyway
or IF they are, they have just recently started again

all them have made/make or use to make
B-series Low-deck Mopar, Plymouth 6bbl/Dodge Six Pac Manifolds
for 361-383-400

as everyone else said it was an aftermarket deal
strange stuff happened at man dealership, back in the day
getting aftermarket part installed was a regular occurrence
BUT;
it never came from Chrysler Corp.,
Plymouth or Dodge equipped that way...

Numerous car dealers & assoc.'s
Mr. Norms, Motion Performance, Dick Landy, Hurst, Car Craft etc.
Mad Scientists, rouge Chrysler Engineers on Woodward Ave.,
they all did that stuff too, were all willing to do their own creations

anyway carry on, just added my $1.25 :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When it comes to Ma MoPar 'never say never'

unless it's a fake *** contrived 4 dr `cuda,
that **** "never ever" happened :poke:

Auto Transport Service
Back