• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 belt routing issue.

71 bird

Local time
12:26 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys, so i am buttoning up the front half of my engine that ive been building and have run into a bit of a spacing or routing issue with my power steering pump and crank pulley. My engine is a non ac setup. One belt (the one closer to the block) for alternator, water pump and crank second groove (closer to the radiator) runs the crank pulley and what should line up with the P/s pulley but it misses. The power steering pump lines up closer to the first belt. I was wondering what is causing this issue, do i just need to shim it out to clear the gap? If anyone has a similar set up any pictures or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey guys, so i am buttoning up the front half of my engine that ive been building and have run into a bit of a spacing or routing issue with my power steering pump and crank pulley. My engine is a non ac setup. One belt (the one closer to the block) for alternator, water pump and crank second groove (closer to the radiator) runs the crank pulley and what should line up with the P/s pulley but it misses. The power steering pump lines up closer to the first belt. I was wondering what is causing this issue, do i just need to shim it out to clear the gap? If anyone has a similar set up any pictures or info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Try this on for a nice clean, short double belt routing. No slippage here. the caveat is that you need a four groove crank pulley and double groove alternator and power steering pump pulleys which can easily be found and cheap to buy.

016.JPG

Yatzee's idea will work, but on my motor I just put a few washers behind the power steering bracket as needed to line up with the crank pulley closer to the radiator. Cost me about $1

On my original setup, I had to use spacers to bring the pump forward a bit. Make sure to eyeball your crank pulley grooves because the power steering pump doesn't use the same width belt as the water pump/alternator. Generally the power steering belt is closer to an B belt whereas the other is closer to an A. Originally my power steering belt was the rear groove on the crank pulley witch was quite a bit wider groove. You can buy a mounting bracket that raises and straightens a Saginaw pump and keeps the belt further above the water pump housing neck.

Auto Transport Service
Back