• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 Engine Vin

50 Coupe

Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score
I have a 383 motor for my 50 Ply Coupe. The guy I bought it from pulled if from an old Barracuda he bought, but it wasn't the original motor for the car.

The block stamp reads 2468130 and the stamp by the distributor has D383 6 10 2 then below R. The heads are 2951250 and the factory 4 barrel intake is stamped 3830849F 9.29.77.

Trying to get some more info on it. I ran the engine vin code on the MOPAR decoder but this is all I get:
Body Type: P = Plymouth Fury
Price Class: T = Taxi
Body Type: 38 = Unknown
Engine: 3 = Unknown
Year: R = 197R
Sequence Number: 509218 = 409218th Vehicle Built

Here is the code from the block by the oil pan rail; PT383R25092186
I would like to know more specifically what this came out of and the year of the motor. Can anyone come up with more info?
Thanks

C would be 1967 so D would be 1968.

I have a 383 motor for my 50 Ply Coupe. The guy I bought it from pulled if from an old Barracuda he bought, but it wasn't the original motor for the car.

The block stamp reads 2468130 and the stamp by the distributor has D383 6 10 2 then below R. The heads are 2951250 and the factory 4 barrel intake is stamped 3830849F 9.29.77.

Trying to get some more info on it. I ran the engine vin code on the MOPAR decoder but this is all I get:
Body Type: P = Plymouth Fury
Price Class: T = Taxi
Body Type: 38 = Unknown
Engine: 3 = Unknown
Year: R = 197R
Sequence Number: 509218 = 409218th Vehicle Built

Here is the code from the block by the oil pan rail; PT383R25092186
I would like to know more specifically what this came out of and the year of the motor. Can anyone come up with more info?
Thanks

That is the engine assembly number not the VIN meaning a VIN decoder will not help you determine what it came out of.

Look at the back of the block by the oil sending unit for a partial VIN. You may find a number, a letter and six more numbers. Look, then let us know what you found.

68_Bellhousing_VIN_4.jpg

That is the engine assembly number not the VIN meaning a VIN decoder will not help you determine what it came out of.

Look at the back of the block by the oil sending unit for a partial VIN. You may find a number, a letter and six more numbers. Look, then let us know what you found.

View attachment 1137754
I just power washed the block yesterday and didn't notce any numbers by the oil press. sending unit, but then again I wasn't specifically looking there. I will have to check this weekend when I get back out to where I have the car and stuff.

I guess safe to assume with the info I have it is at least a 1968 383??
Thanks!

I just power washed the block yesterday and didn't notce any numbers by the oil press. sending unit, but then again I wasn't specifically looking there. I will have to check this weekend when I get back out to where I have the car and stuff.

I guess safe to assume with the info I have it is at least a 1968 383??
Thanks!

D383= 1968 model year 383 so, yes.

Yes D383 is a 1968 model year 383. I have personally not found the 250 heads on anything other than the 1968 383 2bbl engine. Some places say they also came on the 440 in that year but I've only seen 906 heads on the 1968 440's.

Casting number 3830949 on an intake manifold would indicate it came from a 1975-76 400 4bbl and would have the Thermoquad carburetor mounting flange.

my 68 383 only had numbers on the pad in front of the left head and on the bottom by the starter

Yes D383 is a 1968 model year 383. I have personally not found the 250 heads on anything other than the 1968 383 2bbl engine. Some places say they also came on the 440 in that year but I've only seen 906 heads on the 1968 440's.

Casting number 3830949 on an intake manifold would indicate it came from a 1975-76 400 4bbl and would have the Thermoquad carburetor mounting flange.

Makes sense. This prolly is a 2bbl motor and someone put that intake on it. There was no carb, water pump or time gear cover on it, but the old damper was on it. The timing chain and gears were shot and I doubt they were on the motor when it was pulled. May have had parts pulled off it and some old stuff laying around thrown on it. Got it for a few hundred bucks and it turns over easily. Inside not rusted, well oiled and not sludged up. It has been decades since I worked on one of these so trying to get caught up on what I have and what I need.
Thanks

Makes sense. This prolly is a 2bbl motor and someone put that intake on it. There was no carb, water pump or time gear cover on it, but the old damper was on it. The timing chain and gears were shot and I doubt they were on the motor when it was pulled. May have had parts pulled off it and some old stuff laying around thrown on it. Got it for a few hundred bucks and it turns over easily. Inside not rusted, well oiled and not sludged up. It has been decades since I worked on one of these so trying to get caught up on what I have and what I need.
Thanks
I think that is a real good guess. 68 383 lo-po two barrel engine with a four barrel intake from a junkyard motor.
New proper compression pistons, fresh heads and a nice cam, and the two barrel origins will mean nothing. Block is the same, and you should have a steel crank.

IIRC "general consensus" is that early (maybe first half year) 1968 blocks got NO VIN stamp.

...and as you can see, the bellhousing location stamps were crude.

They got their act together for 1969 production and later.

IIRC "general consensus" is that early (maybe first half year) 1968 blocks got NO VIN stamp.

...and as you can see, the bellhousing location stamps were crude.

They got their act together for 1969 production and later.

Spotty research indicates that VIN stampings varied by plant and 'general consensus' is wrong. Here's an early StL stamping indicating they were stamping VINs in August.

Some plants seem to have started earlier than others so it's difficult to make general statements about the stampings..

This is a topic that needs more research.
68_Bellhousing_VINb.jpg

mine was from st. louis plant built in march , no numbers on top of back of block

Yup. Seems every 'resource' I have checked has different/inconsistent info regarding stamping and numbers.

Yup. Seems every 'resource' I have checked has different/inconsistent info regarding stamping and numbers.

Let's get back to you....

Check for a VIN. If it's there we can make progress on your question. If there isn't a VIN we're pretty much done.

Auto Transport Service
Back