• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 HP engine, A-833 4-speed tranny: correct installation of clutch release bearing

69 Charger

Local time
5:19 PM
Reaction score
I removed the tranny to remove the engine for rebuild. I discovered that I had inadvertently dislodged the release bearing. Does the photo show the correct installation of the bearing on the fork?
Release bearing attachment.jpg
It seems easy to pop it off.

Thanks!

Yes.
And yes, it can pop off or twist one side off easily if you can't keep the trans input shaft / retainer tube centered / in line on the install. IMO, the clips tend to slide off easier the more forward the release bearing is. A couple guide pins made from long bolts can help with trans alignment if you have the room. Don't draw the trans in with the bolts, you risk breaking off the trans bolt hole corners. It should slide in with "arm strong" force and maybe a bit of shaking.
BTW, It is possible to reattach the spring clips after the trans is in but tends to be difficult.

Yes.
And yes, it can pop off or twist one side off easily if you can't keep the trans input shaft / retainer tube centered / in line on the install. IMO, the clips tend to slide off easier the more forward the release bearing is. A couple guide pins made from long bolts can help with trans alignment if you have the room. Don't draw the trans in with the bolts, you risk breaking off the trans bolt hole corners. It should slide in with "arm strong" force and maybe a bit of shaking.
BTW, It is possible to reattach the spring clips after the trans is in but tends to be difficult.
Thanks very much, Daves69. I used a tranny jack to remove the transmission, but it was necessary to turn the tranny to clear the shifter rods. I think that's when the release bearing popped off. I'm anticipating (dreading, more accurately) that reinstalling the gearbox without popping it off again will be a problem. I can't see how I could reinstall the bearing without removing the gearbox. I could barely get the bearing back on for the photo with plenty of room to struggle with it.

Why are you even messing with shifter rods? Take the shift levers and rods off. Reinstall 'em after the trans is in.

Why are you even messing with shifter rods? Take the shift levers and rods off. Reinstall 'em after the trans is in.
Just following the instructions in the 1969 Charger shop manual to rotate the transmission to clear the body structure. I've never done this job before, and I don't want to be messing with stuff I don't have to remove.

Auto Transport Service
Back