• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 question - Factory altered engines??

Satellite1965

Local time
4:20 PM
Reaction score
Hey all-

I recently was given a 1965 Satellite from my grandfather as a project car. The car has a 383 under the hood. My grandfather was told from the gentleman that he bought it from that it was one of 613 Satellites built with a specially factory modified 383 engine specific for drag racing and was not offered to the general public. He has no further knowledge regarding the exact modifications that were made to the engine. I was wondering if this is something that anyone else has heard and what markings or identification there would be to prove this. Thanks.

You're grandfather was misinformed !

Doubtfull.

Who knows for sure chrysler did alot of strange things.

Maybe he meant the car itself? My fathers dad had an early 60's dodge that my father (a big Mopar guy) stated was a 'performance' dealer car built for the strip, 383, aluminum fenders, etc. and was drag raced since new as a promotion car. My father also had a 63' Dodge Polara with a 383, junkyard 6-pack setup with aftermarket manifold (in 1969/1970 I believe, first year of the six pack, purchased off of a wrecked Cuda' and traded the factory manifold for the aftermarket B-manifold), 4-speed, lakewood bellhousing, fenderwell headers, Keystone mags, 3/4 race cam, Socks and Martin fiberglass scoop, and who knows what else.. Sold it for $300 and bought a honda 750 motorcycle (fastest production bike at the time). Guy wrapped the Dodge around a tree a few months later after he put 4.56 gears in the rear. Lucky he bought the Road Runner in 1970-1971 and has had it ever since. Sorry, just sharing an old story and trying to paint a picture that he isn't new to the scene of Mopars.

Best thing would be to post tag info and all numbers as you go through it. That might tell the story.

Who knows for sure chrysler did alot of strange things.

I guarantee they didn't do that with 613 units.Only race specific 383 was the 343 hp 383 in 62.

Auto Transport Service
Back