• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory 383 - Is it worth keeping?

Just Send It

Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
When I got my 63' 330, the prior owner gave me the numbers matching 383 with it. The car currently has a 69' 440 in it along with the original BW T-10 4 speed. The 440 was installed by the original owner back in the 80s

My question is, since this wasnt a Max Wedge car, does having the factory 383 add any value at all? I realize this question is subjective. I'm just trying to determine whether hauling it around and storing it is worth the trouble. I have no intention of ever putting the 383 back into the car. In-fact, I'm searching for a 63' AAQA block to build and make this a tribute car.

But from a desirability standpoint, does the 383 add anything?

Curious to see what the community's opinion is

20230711-112314.jpg

20230711-112330.jpg

20230711-112355.jpg

Id sell it, if i were you. You already know, you wont get rich, but maybe help someone else out. 383 is a fun little big block. :thumbsup:

I'd keep it, but I'm an originality guy.
And yes, I have motors all over the place and they take up a lot of room.
Eventually someone will want to put it back being an original 383 BB car

There is no "numbers matching" on a 63.
It can be date correct only, there is no way to prove it's actually the original engine.
So if you do sell it the next owner could potentially find a block with the correct date range and it would still be considered original.
(if that makes any sense)

At this moment in time a 383 car is not unique. Fifty years from now, I'm guessing an original 383 4 speed dodge built in 1963, will buy two tributes or clones. In 1963, it might not have beat a MW, but everybody else was meat on the table.

If you want to preserve it and have fun, keep the 383. Stroke it to a 438 with some good heads. Use the '63 factory inline dual quad and MW exhaust manifolds; you'll have one hot "383" dodge.

I don't know a lot about that vintage, but wasn't '63 the first year of the 4 speed? That must be fairly rare. Other than drivetrain, how does a Max Wedge differ from a 330?

At this moment in time a 383 car is not unique. Fifty years from now, I'm guessing an original 383 4 speed dodge built in 1963, will buy two tributes or clones. In 1963, it might not have beat a MW, but everybody else was meat on the table.

If you want to preserve it and have fun, keep the 383. Stroke it to a 438 with some good heads. Use the '63 factory inline dual quad and MW exhaust manifolds; you'll have one hot "383" dodge.

I don't know a lot about that vintage, but wasn't '63 the first year of the 4 speed? That must be fairly rare. Other than drivetrain, how does a Max Wedge differ from a 330?

Very good question. I'm eager to learn the differences as well.

I did read that the T10 was only used in 1963 with the Max Wedge. Evidently they had problems so they replaced it with the A833 in 64'. The Chrysler BW T10 is somewhat rare from what I gather.

I'd keep it. I'd probably bounce a 318 or 313 but I would keep an original 383.

If you're thinking Big $$ in the future, you should understand, as I do, these cars Don't bring it. They're more of a "personal favorite" type car. I've always Loved these, Thanks to the "Candymatic" Warriors !!!

The BW T-10 was introduced in 1963 on Chrysler B-bodies. Since this was the same transmission that Chev used on 283 and 327 cars, Chrysler was doubtful of its torque capabilities, and did not use it on any thing bigger than a 383. This was a stop-gap solution, until Chrysler was able to develop its own brawny A-833 4-speed introduced in 1964. Some early 1964 cars also got the T-10. Any original big block T-10 4-speed car is a rare piece.

They made a ton of 383 blocks, I don't see them being in short supply for at least a decade or longer. Only then might your 383 block be "valuable." As 426's became more and more scarce in the late 1980s and costly, many looked to 440s to fulfill their big block needs. It's may take a decade for the 440 blocks to become in short supply enough to make the 383 more attractive.

That said, I believe they make stroker kits and six-pack manifolds for the 383, so it's still a decent motor. When 426s were plentiful, I was careless with 440 blocks. Not so, anymore.

'63 heads were the last with 4-bolt valve covers and separate rocker stands.

Gotta be honest, I hawked off my 318 out of my 64, but no way in hell would I get rid of the orig 383, if it came with one.

After months of consideration, I've decided I'm going to rebuild the original 383 for this car. The 440 that's in it currently is awesome, but I think it would be pretty neat to put the original engine back in it mated to the T10. I'm not 100% sure if I'll keep it stock stroke, but the first step was to get this thing disassembled after 40+ years of living under a work bench.

Sucker was rusted big time! I tried leaving penatrant on the pistons for over a week. Didn't move. I tried adding a bit of heat to it. Didn't move. Then I busted out the BFH. Didn't move.

Finally it was air chisel time. I was as gentle as I could be, but the pistons/rings were fused together. Eventually after punching a few holes in the crowns, it started to slowly come apart bore-by-bore. It took about 5hrs to remove 8 pistons.

Block is now off to the machine shop to be cleaned, magged, and sonic tested. Really looking forward to this journey.

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2870.jpg

IMG_2868.jpg

I really like your idea. I was always a 440 or Hemi guy but as these cars get older I find you don't go out street racing every car you line up with at a traffic light. One of my pet peeves is every 383 Road Runner somehow has to have a 440 swapped into it, no reason for it. Great plan on your car.

Wow sitting over 40 years.
My brother has a 68 block that he's had laying around for at least 35 years.

The 383 is pretty short stroke and I always figured with good heads and a blue printed bottom end that it would make some good power and revs. But the stock heads on the in the early - mid 60s really hurt their higher end. I can remember how my 64 383 Sport Fury was pretty strong off the line and even mid-range but very obviously was running out of steam about half way through 3rd (Torqueflite). And then I put a 280 Crowler cam in it and killed the low end. So much more than stock cam with stock heads kills the bottom end so some sort of upgrade to the heads is about the only practical solution to get a little more power out of them.

I just took the original 383 out of my 64 Belvedere 2 dr and 4 speed. Three valves were missing and three cylinders had mouse nests in them. The 383 need a lot to rebuild, like sleeves in most cylinders. I am keeping the engine but I have a newer 383 to install for now. I my 383 would be a costly rebuild.

The 383 is pretty short stroke and I always figured with good heads and a blue printed bottom end that it would make some good power and revs. But the stock heads on the in the early - mid 60s really hurt their higher end. I can remember how my 64 383 Sport Fury was pretty strong off the line and even mid-range but very obviously was running out of steam about half way through 3rd (Torqueflite). And then I put a 280 Crowler cam in it and killed the low end. So much more than stock cam with stock heads kills the bottom end so some sort of upgrade to the heads is about the only practical solution to get a little more power out of them.

Man, I've toiled over this for months. I have a set of nicely ported 906 heads and Vic intake on my shelf that I've considered using. It's tempting. I just don't know...

The thought of having a high RPM screamer is very tempting. But so is making it a quality driver that I can comfortably take to shows. Very conflicted.

The problem with me is, I only have 2 settings. Either I'm restoring a car as close to stock as possible to preserve it, or I have to build the wildest street/race car I can afford. There is no in-between with me.

And since this 330 is in such good shape and it's never been abused, I'm really tempted just to bring it back to factory specs and enjoy it. There are very few early B-bodies around here, so it would be nice to show it off.

And if I want to go fast, I always have my Scamp.

20231125.jpg

20231217_125909.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back