• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 raised block

johnny ga

Local time
1:41 PM
Reaction score
i have a 1960 383 golden lion this is a raised block what can yall tell me about it

Its an odd ball. Not sure if its a grade above boat anchor. Might have some parts that could help someone who is restoring one.

Same deck height as a 440. Might be worth something to someone wanting to restore one. If originality isn't a concern you would be far better off to start with a larger RB motor.

Awesome oddball. Absolutely worth something to someone who owns a car that came with that originally...... bad part is, there a very few of those, and only a tiny handfull would have and want a correct engine for those cars. Most would rather throw in a 413 (or 440 for ease of piston source). Since it's so rare tho, I'd make the darn thing a man cave coffee table and keep it useable before I'd dispose of it. No one really knows it's value in the future.

Just for everyone's reference, at this point in time; 350B, 361, 383B and 383RB, 413 and 426 wedge are all really considered obsolete engines. A lot of parts interchange, but good pistons, if any pistons, are no longer off-the-shelf for any of those motors.
**edit** im finding 383b pistons, but the rest on that list are no-go.....custom only $$$

Last edited:
383 B parts are available. 361 B not so much.

Is it complete? is it rusted up? Is it a 2bbl or 4 bbl, they made it both ways.

The rear crankshaft flange is long and has 8 holes for studs for the torque Converter. Must use the cast iron torqueflight, not a 727.

the stroke is 3.75, same as a 413,426,440.

the heads are 4 bolt valve covers with 1.95 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves. No holes drilled in the end of heads for alternator brackets, because it came with a generator and it mounted on the exhaust manifold.

the valve covers may have some value.

Last edited:
it was a two year motor offering in the chrysler golden lion line . i've got one . the crank shaft has non threaded holes like the early motors , and it has 4 bolt valve covers like all the early wedges . it's just a small bore block , much like the 413 block , and 426 wedge block . going to use my long induction rams on mine .

DSC00162.JPG

that engine an auto push button type in this 37 dodge pu , it had a 54 cad v8 and trans in it when i bought it . as you can see it got cut on some , so to make her into a custom rod will not hurt it at all , lol .

DSC08169.JPG

DSC08145.JPG

00060014.jpg

00060017.jpg

heads and intakes are interchangeable between rb engines as combos and heads from the b engine block will fit an rb block , ign dizzies are rb , b is to short . so raised block is rb . some stuff is special to them . oh ya you can use the early hemi crankshaft to flywheel bolts n nuts (7/16 dia) . or thread the crank holes , but they will end up being 1/2-20 . and what ever flywheel you use will need to be drilled to 1/2 as well .

You cannot swap in a different trans. The flange sticks out way too far. There was a thread on this on one of the sites. Nobody makes any adapters to swap the trans with that oddball crankshaft.

But it easy to swap the crank to a 1962 and newer type.

its just a spacer to put the trans and flywheel in position , just like early hemi's and 727 or later gearboxes . it's not a world ender , lol .

It is not just a 'spacer', post #12, to space the trans back. The crank flange on the 383 RB has drilled holes & there is NO register for the flex plate or tq con hub. These engines did not use a FP, the tq con bolted directly to the crank flange, to be used with a cast iron Tq flite or Power flite trans.

the motor is complete 4bbl carb kept under shop out of the weather .

Auto Transport Service
Back