• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 runs lil ruff when warm

Loulang

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
My 66 charger with a 383 runs ruff when she gets warm. Any suggestions on things to do to try and fix my problem.

image.jpg

runs ruff. Any suggestions on things to do to try and fix my problem.

I'd say either pull some feathers or put it in the wash depending on what you're dealing with!!!

Maybe the dizzy needs a lil twist:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Interesting that you've chosen to eliminate the pcv.

Seriously...what's the combo? Did the problem just start happening with no other changes, or...? I see an aftermarket carb and intake(has the tune been optimized?) and lots of wiring around the coil...
In other words more info needed.

Seriously...what's the combo? Did the problem just start happening with no other changes, or...? I see an aftermarket carb and intake(has the tune been optimized?) and lots of wiring around the coil...
In other words more info needed.
I zoomed in on that wiring too, I would rip it apart and nicely/properly freshen it all up

From what I can see, I do NOT see excessive number of wires going to the coil.
Coil + terminal looks like 3 wires: run wire, crank wire & RF condenser wire.
Coil - terminal looks like 2 wires, one to the dist & one for tach.

Does the carb have a choke? Maybe it s staying 'on' when warm. Also, as others have stated, more info needed.

Is the manifold vacuum port (to the right of the capped pcv port) also capped or is it open?
Also, post a pic of your kickdown setup at the carb. If that's not correct, your transmission will eventually shift a little "ruff" as well.

Last edited:
first thing to do is check to make sure the choke is opening correctly and fully open after it’s warmed up

Last edited:
Pcv is not capped valve covers can breathe. She runs fine for about 10 min of driving but when I go to stab the gas she sputters. I haven’t had the car long and haven’t did anything mechanical. It had no interior when I purchased it, I did the whole interior and now trying to figure out the mechanical, so if you have a silly response please just keep it to yourself to old for kid ****. Thanks

Pcv is not capped valve covers can breathe. She runs fine for about 10 min of driving but when I go to stab the gas she sputters. I haven’t had the car long and haven’t did anything mechanical. It had no interior when I purchased it, I did the whole interior and now trying to figure out the mechanical, so if you have a silly response please just keep it to yourself to old for kid ****. Thanks
Sure looks to me like the PCV port is capped.
From what I can tell you have 2 breathers and no PCV valve?
So you aren't drawing the crankcase fumes, etc into the carb.
Probably not the reason it's running rough but long term you will get deposits all over the top of the engine more quickly.
It also looks like the kickdown lever needs to be adjusted forward.

When it starts to run ruff, will it smooth out any if you raise the rpm's?
Not sure from the description, but the most common ailment is a vacuum leak.

Happy to help, ask any time

Auto Transport Service
Back