• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3gen Hemi, NAG1 and 8 3/4 rear end. Which drive shaft?

dickdale

Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
I've swapped a NAG1 behind the 6.4 Hemi in my 70's Satellite and was woundering what you guys are using for a driveshaft? A one piece or a two piece driveshaft?

I'm still using the 8 3/4 rear end with 489 carrier. I'm measuring almost 64 inches between the Sonnax trans yoke and the u bolt yoke on the rear end.

The driveshaft company says the shaft will be to long and they cannot guarantee it will be fibration free over 4.000 rpm. They advise to place a two-piece driveshaft.

I prefer a one piece driveshaft.

Pictures and specs would be appreciated!

Pictures

26A2A35C-11F0-4E35-B4B2-90319A54227E.jpeg

E7FDB307-082C-4B92-A364-131FCA3BE7C2.jpeg

I've swapped a NAG1 behind the 6.4 Hemi in my 70's Satellite and was woundering what you guys are using for a driveshaft? A one piece or a two piece driveshaft?

I'm still using the 8 3/4 rear end with 489 carrier. I'm measuring almost 64 inches between the Sonnax trans yoke and the u bolt yoke on the rear end.

The driveshaft company says the shaft will be to long and they cannot guarantee it will be fibration free over 4.000 rpm. They advise to place a two-piece driveshaft.

I prefer a one piece driveshaft.

Pictures and specs would be appreciated!
Did the supplier say if a larger diameter or carbon fiber shaft would work?
Mike

I see no provision for change in length of the driveshaft with the suspension travel as with a slip yoke. Seems to me you have to allow for this or there is going to be a problem. My 6.I conversion in my 66 Satellite is still a 727.

Did the supplier say if a larger diameter or carbon fiber shaft would work?
Mike
He told me a larger diameter would make the posibilty of vibration worse. He only make steel shafts.

I see no provision for change in length of the driveshaft with the suspension travel as with a slip yoke. Seems to me you have to allow for this or there is going to be a problem. My 6.I conversion in my 66 Satellite is still a 727.
There is no room for problems/issues. Had an A518 behind the engine last year but didn't like it.

Poster is going to have to get a shaft with a slip yoke similar to a 4wd truck.

This is what the shaft is going to be like.

View attachment 1453117
I would get it made and see how it works out. You might be fine. If you do this you should also check the drive line angles and correct them if needed. To convert to a two piece drive shaft is a lot of work and fabrication as a center support crossmember would have to be made and installed then the shaft made.

I don't know the actual physics with that driveshaft, but I can see that vibration could be a real problem with any wear whatsoever.

This is what the shaft is going to be like.

View attachment 1453117
That set-up is the same design as what I have on my 60 Dodge Dart. I had the Ball & trunion chopped off and a U joint put in it's place 25 years ago. I have no vibration and my driveshaft is close to the length you will need if not longer. I have not measured it though. My Dart has no where near the power or torque you will be dealing with but if your drive line angle is correct, it should be problem free. At least worth a try.

100_0600.JPG

100_0601.JPG

So I've spoken to a few guys. One has a Hemi swapped Fury and a total length of 66 inches, no problems. The other one has a 68 Roadrunner and has a length of 62 inches, no problems.

So I'll be giving the drive shaft shop the green light.

Curious how this turned out? I've found the 5.7 Hemi I want in my '66 Charger, now looking at trans options.

Auto Transport Service
Back