• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd gen trunk panel order

VicsGarage

Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Anyone know if this piece I marked with the marker in the corner has a lip on it?

Basically looking for the order they go together. Its hard to tell on mine as all the rot was in those spots....

I know the trunk pan has a lip that goes up against the rear panel. but the extensions don't from what I can tell in photos.

So is it rear cross member and cross member extension. Then trunk extension flat on top of the cross member extensions, then that panel in the corner comes down with a rolled lip over the extension? Or do extension have a lip that goes up against it?

Thanks
Vic

Trunk111.JPG Trunk222.JPG

When I re-did those corners before putting my new quarters on my 71', I didnt touch the rear tail panel or the rear crossmember I left the tail panel extensions attached to the tail panel & was able to remove the welds in the crossmember exts after the trunk exts were cut & drilled out & removed. The trunk ext lip is sandwiched between the top lip of the crossmember & the tailpanel ext. Theres also a tab on the rear of the trunk ext that sandwiches between the trunk pan and tthe crossmember as well. After the trunk exts were welded in, I was able to guide the crossmember exts back in & close everything up.
If your replacing the trunk exts, you will have more work where they meet up with the outer wheelhouse than you will in the rear corner. Dont get discouraged when you see how bad the fitment is...
Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
Will do. Waiting for a bunch of parts. Trying to find a new crossmember cause ends of mine are toast before the extensions.

Auto Transport Service
Back