• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 barrel vs 6 pack

Mid 80's Motor City Originals ran a special: $500.00 for a set of 3 carbs for 440. I am still running them on my '72 Challenger.

I thought the numbers on a 6 pack set up were 350 cf for the middle carb because it has the choke plate and the outside carbs were 450 cf each
So total wide open is 1250 cf ????

I found a set up for $1500 complete and have it on my 440 that was rebuilt and just running in the car so have not had the car on the road yet to try it out

Different rating on 2 barrel and 4 barrel.
If taking the 4 barrel rating the sixpack flows 950 -ish cfm.

The 6 pack was 15 hp better than the 4bbl in factory trim. Many people think the increase is because of additional air flow of the 6 pack.
The 4bbl intake is a low rise intake, whereas the 6 pack is a true high rise design. In my opinion, most, if not all, of the additional 15 hp came from a better designed free flowing intake.

If I ran across a 6 pack setup in decent condition for $800? I would put on my non numbers matching '69 GTX. Even though no 6-barrel option was available. Just the cool factor alone for a street 440.

And of course I would make up some story to my Chevy gang. "Its a top secret build from Plymouth. Only 3 produced. The other 2 were destroyed after concept. Mine snuck out after destroying a Satellite in its place to hide its existence." I think I could pull off that story to them. After all, they're Chevy lovers. Lol.

But seriously. Buy it. Even if you have no immediate plans.

JMO.

Holley rates 4 bbl flows at 1.5 hg and 2 bbl flow at 3 hg. I’ve read of different figures in some places but the 4 bbl is always rated at half the vacuum pull of a 2 bbl. I’ve seen that to equate a 2 bbl flow to match a 4 bbl, you need to divide it by 1.414. So you’re really not gaining much if any flow gain with the 2 bbls, but there may be some benefit from the better manifold and fuel distribution. Oh, and also from appearance.

no friends or family, no western union,
but there may be some benefit from the better manifold and fuel distribution
I remember reading fuel distribution was it back in the day

The 6 pack was 15 hp better than the 4bbl in factory trim. Many people think the increase is because of additional air flow of the 6 pack.
The 4bbl intake is a low rise intake, whereas the 6 pack is a true high rise design. In my opinion, most, if not all, of the additional 15 hp came from a better designed free flowing intake.

Holley 3 bbl 950cfm & 1030 cfm

s-l1600 (15).jpg

No reason to debate, BUY IT! If you hate it, I'll buy it from you for a tidy profit.

I can tell you this….there’s nothing like the pull of a 6bbl setup when the outboard carbs open. It’s like a whole nuther gear. Many people that have been in my car will gasp when the outers open up, and I can see why so many 6bbl motors grenaded back in the day. You have to be ready for it, and keep it straight down the road. You can’t have fun like that with any 4bbl setup!

The argument between 4bbl and 6bbl will never cease. I've messed with both in different configurations and even the edelbrock 8bbl. Anybody who disses a 6bbl for street and strip has never worked with a tuned set up. The thing to keep in mind is a 6bbl isn't a race induction and shouldn't be compared to race single plane with big carb. 6bbls are at their best in a dual purpose car.

I would love to recreate my old charger motor I had in the mid 80's with some modern improvements such as better heads and headers. 70 R/T 4 speed car with 4.10 gears. Rebuilt the engine with the .509 cam. Had headers on it when I bought it.Never touched the trans or the Dana 60 for that matter. Added the six pak and it was a fun and reasonably fast street car in the mid 80's. Unless I win the lottery that isn't likely to happen.

Buy the six pack whether you use it or not.

What are the benefits of a 6 pack over a 4 barrel? I found a 6 pack setup complete for $800. But I already have a 850 tquad and can buy an intake for a couple hundred. Besides the obvious cost advantage to the 4 bbl, what's the advantages of a 6 pack? Are the 3 smaller carbs bigger then the 1 big 4 barrel? And what's the technology / idea behind the 6 pack?
1350 CFM, total. 500 CFM each for the outbound carbs and 350 for the center carb.

The NHRA factored the 440 Six Pack at 450HP.

Auto Transport Service
Back