• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 barrels and intakes are over rated on a street car

I’m tellin ya. Over rated on a street car.
A 2 barrel will get the job done, just as well. The key, is having a good running motor. Period
That being said, around the same time period as the above 2bbl 383 story, a friend in the same group had a '69 Cougar with a 2bbl 351 Windsor. I had a '71 Satellite 318 and a '69 302 Torino, another guy had a 350 in a GMC pickup. On all four of those vehicles, we (actually I did the work) put on Holley 4412 500 cfm. 2bbl carbs and they all woke up with a good deal more power. We went all out on the Ford engines and spent an extra $2 for lighter quick advance distributor springs as well.

This thread is comical. Obviously some very piss pour running engines out there when we’re talking about 16 sec 318 2 barrels being fast... :rofl:

This thread is comical. Obviously some very piss pour running engines out there when we’re talking about 16 sec 318 2 barrels being fast... :rofl:
It's all relative. People thought the Chrysler 300 was fast in 1955 with its 9.9 second 0-60 and 17.5 quarter mile times.

It's all relative. People thought the Chrysler 300 was fast in 1955 with its 9.9 second 0-60 and 17.5 quarter mile times.
Don’t mind him. He simply popped in to “ Cock a Doodle Doo” from the top of his Hemi soap box. Lol !

My 1st car was a '70 Barracuda Gran Coupe, 383 2 bbl, 727, 3.23. 12,000 mile dealer demo car. Had many issues with the stock 2 bbl. It was fairly fast but no match for most performance cars. I wanted more performance, switched to DP4B & 3310-1, & headers. Was fairly competitive as a street racer, with the low CR, 2bbl cam & 12" converter. Never lost to a 351 Mach 1, did real well against most Chevelle's. Got beat by most similar level 340 Dart's & Duster's. It ran 15.10's at the strip, street tires didn't work that well at the track. Long story, but the 2 bbl, single exhaust was not a screamer, although I don't think a 318 could car could beat it.

Auto Transport Service
Back