• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 inch air cleaner

Gary Masse

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
What 14x4 inch air cleaner assembly did you use with a Edelbrock rpm alum. intake and still have hood clearance on a 1971 b body

I run one with a drop bottom.
The one I run is a reproduction of 66/67 427 Corvette bottom.

There are others that would probably work but that is what I found
that would fit.

I never have seen any difference on the track over a 3 Inch and very
little if any over a 2 Inch filter.

Can't remember what drop bottom I've used in the past but sometimes if the drop is enough, it restricts the air flow so the 4" might be a waste of money and time.

I don’t know if anything fits with a 4” filter. A base that has enough drop to accommodate a 4” filter will probably be into your linkage.

I made a 16” x 3.25 or 3.50” work.

It seems like 3" is the standard height for most air cleaners. There is some kind of "calculator" on the K&S site that says what horsepower they are good for, plenty in most cases.
The type of carburetor will also make a difference in the air cleaner base type. I think there is another thread going on here now about how they fit on the Carters and Holleys differently.
Some things to think about.

I don’t know if anything fits with a 4” filter. A base that has enough drop to accommodate a 4” filter will probably be into your linkage.

I made a 16” x 3.25 or 3.50” work.

Well, I miss spoke. I do have a 3 1/2” filter, and I also have a 1/2” spacer between the intake and carb. That suggests that without the spacer, I could run a 4” filter element.

My air cleaner lid does lightly touch the hood. And my kick down linkage has been massaged and just clears the air cleaner base. If you run a manual valve body, that would be a non-issue for you.

I’m pretty sure you can get K&N filters in 1/4” increments.

The only reason for going to a drop is due my engine produces 585 hp and 619 torque.

Auto Transport Service
Back