• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4-speed GTX rear end

67 gtx

Thanks Jakepiney for your picture! I couldn't get a picture to post on a PM for some reason, so here is my 67'.

Attachments

• PC250135.JPG
    PC250135.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 208
Lets not forget the scenario where the oil was changed by the local garage owner who needed a rear for his race car and swapped it out knowing the owner never looked under the car. The unscrupulous have been with us always. Latest thing I saw was a guy who had a brand new 750 DP swapped out for a Quadrajet and never looked in the box. 3 years later wanting to swap out the carb, the box was opened and it contained a hollowed out 650 body. The forums are also full of stories of cars leaving the dealership with swapped out parts to get them sold and off the lot. Still happens today. Just 2 years ago I had a brand new GMC that had the wrong VIN number on the dash! Factory screwup on that one. Matching number complete cars will always be rare exceptions.

just bought a 67 gtx 440 4 speed which also was a special order car and it was decoded with a 8.75 3.55 sure grip we are in the process in cleaning it up putting some of it back to factory original. right now it has a 489 pumpkin but looking to find a correct 742 Tore the trany down to overall and inspect and it was indeed a 18 spline tranny

Last edited:
I have a one owner GTX that my brother bought new and I took the window sticker off when I was 13. All 4 speeds came with the Dana 60. also unsilenced air cleaner (no snorkels) dual point distributor, windage tray and clutch fan. 18 spliine transmission with Inland shifter and AC was not available.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...67-GTX-4-Speed-Manual-Trans-Special-Equipment

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...67-GTX-4-Speed-Manual-Trans-Special-Equipment

- - - Updated - - -

Here is some info

- - - Updated - - -

window sticker I re created, I have the actual on from the car. Note the 4 speed and Dana 60 option. You could not get a 4 speed without the Dana.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 169
  • gtx4seed.jpg
    gtx4seed.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 161
  • stker.jpg
    stker.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 166
This has been a great thread, very educational

- - - Updated - - -

Was it the same for 68 GTXs, if it's a 4 Speed did all of them have a Dana 60 in it?

From the 1967 dealer data book: Mandatory 9 3/4 Sure Grip. Four speed was a no cost option but required the purchase of the Dana.

- - - Updated - - -

In 1968 looks to be the same as 1967 with the four speed and you could get a performance axle package option with the automatic

Attachments

• 67_2_GTX0002.jpg
    67_2_GTX0002.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 161
  • 68_Belvedere0004.jpg
    68_Belvedere0004.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 158
From the dealer data book. Mandatory 9 1/4 Sure Grip. Four speed was a no cost option but required the purchase of the Dana.

Neat post. Have serious doubts the 440 4-speed ever came with a 8-3/4" in '67 but I have a reliable source that said he serviced a '67 4-speed GTX with a 9-1/4" many years ago. Most moparites have no idea of what this is, they think it's the later corporate deal put in 70's cars but in early cars it's actually a Dana 54 which has nothing in common with the 70's deal. C-body 440 4-speeds in 67-68 had this unit although with wider width. It's very strong & quite similar in design to the 60. Likely scenario is very early cars came with the 9-1/4" but factory then switched to the much more common 9-3/4". FYI here's a pic of the super rare Dana 54 in my '67 Sport Fury-

Dana 54 1.jpg

Neat post. Have serious doubts the 440 4-speed ever came with a 8-3/4" in '67 but I have a reliable source that said he serviced a '67 4-speed GTX with a 9-1/4" many years ago. Most moparites have no idea of what this is, they think it's the later corporate deal put in 70's cars but in early cars it's actually a Dana 54 which has nothing in common with the 70's deal. C-body 440 4-speeds in 67-68 had this unit although with wider width. It's very strong & quite similar in design to the 60. Likely scenario is very early cars came with the 9-1/4" but factory then switched to the much more common 9-3/4". FYI here's a pic of the super rare Dana 54 in my '67 Sport Fury-

View attachment 233215

Lets see the rest of your fury ESPECIALLY if it is a 440 4 speed from the factory car!! SOOO SWEET!!!!

awesome car......... big car with 4 speed must be kinda like driving a truck? very cool

I've seen a few 65 C bodies (sport fury) with 4 speeds never seen any later models Rare one for sure! BTW, Nice looking ride! 396Signet

Auto Transport Service
Back